Anyone ever built a road case?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Anyone ever built a road case?

ME: Ibanez SZ w/ 81 85
    MA: Martin D-15
    Rig: 2 Channel Dual Rec, 1960A

Anyone ever built a road case?

Things with the band are starting to look up and we may actually start playing out again(first time in probably 2 years). This said i'm worried about my amp bouncing around in the trailer. Has anyone here attempted to build a road case for a head? I know it would be easier to buy one but cash is an extreme issue. Even if its not a live in case but just something to transport in. It seems like it couldn't be too hard. Solid ply wood, foam inserts, something to protect corners, couple of latches, measure twice cut once, etc.. It doesn't have to be pretty but something to wrap or finish the wood couldn't hurt either.

Anyone have advice or worries?

ME: Custom Tele
    MA: Guild GAD F150
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass 24 V
    Rig: Jet City JCA-22H

well knowing you have a Dual Rec its a pretty standard thing so I would check Craigslist to see if someone local is selling a case or a head with a case and see if they will sell you the case only.

Baring that I would check ebay for the same situation.

I did a quick tally of materials and it will be 50-75 to build so it might be worth it to spend a little extra coin and get it done by someone.

ME: EBMM JP7
    MB: Ibanez SDGR 705
    Rig: Axe Fx II

^This, these things usually cancel themselves out in material cost and labour. And if you've never built one before it's usually better to get a pro case.

Don't worry about people talking behind your back, it just means you're one step ahead and they're in perfect position to kiss your ass!

ME: 2 Strats, Ibanez 7
    MA: Jackson DK2S
    Rig: PV Roadmaster/Mace 2 4X12

[rant] If you get a name-brand case beware of Gator Cases. I got one for my Ibanez S7420 from American Musical Supply. It was nice but there was a vertical crack along one of the corners. I called them up and they sent a replacement. I inspected it thoroughly and it was fine.

I was going to get some work done to the Ibanez so I put it in the case and propped it against the wall, where it stood unmoved (untouched, really) for about 2 weeks. Finally, I took it out to the car and as I set it into the trunk I noticed not one, but two vertical cracks! As I said, it had just stayed propped up against the wall. Needless to say I was somewhat disappointed (like really pissed).

I called AMC and this time paid a little extra for an SKB. I also sent an e-mail to Gator, which they never answered! So much for customer service. I figured they'd at least want to know that two of their cases had developed the same types of cracks in a short period of time. Had they been responsive, I may have been persuaded to regard the whole situation as an unfortunately fluke.

On the other hand, some of the foam padding has become loose in the SMC case. I emailed them and got a prompt reply, offering to repair or replace it if their suggestion to use some adhesive spray didn't work.

As a result, when I was looking for a new case for my Walnut Strat, I got the SKB Fender model (it says Fender on the side), and it's been great.

So, watch out for Gator Cases! [/rant]

Find out the
    SHOCKING reason why Last Rites was called "scariest band ever" by the San Francisco MusiCalendar. . .

Read about Johnny C-Note's incredible (mis)adventures in San Francisco during the decline of the Punk Rock scene in the 80's! A regular feature in Guitar Trump. Meet characters like Spoons, Reeds, Donny Durakov and many others - if you dare . . .