Your soldering iron probably sucks. - Page 3

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Your soldering iron probably sucks.

ME: Fender Strat
    MA: Ovation CS257
    Rig: POD HD500

I've got a couple soldering irons that see frequent use... One is a no-name brand that came in an electronics repair kit that was given to me as a gift from work at one point. Another is a Weller, which sees more use, but only because the thing is blindingly orange and fucking impossible to misplace on my desk

Both are 35W irons, and have worked just fine for me.
    Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей!

ME: Frankencaster
    MA: Alvarez
    MB: Ibanez Cheapo 9000
    Rig: Chameleon 2000 & 2/90/2

I use a 40 watt iron from Radio Shack. It isn't bad, but it takes a long time to heat up.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Fuck Wellers (used to be good, but all the sub $100 ones are shit now) and fuck Radio Shack irons. If you are serious about getting one for a lifetime get the Hakko 936. It is THE best iron out there at a hobbyist price point (>$100-150). I bought mine over a year ago and it has never been anything less than exemplary.

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

Yes, good argument. A $100-150 Hakko is better than a <$100 Weller.

Seriously, why the h8? You owned a crappy Weller?
    Making metal every night and day.

ME: Parker MaxxFly DF824
    Rig: Dual Recto

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    My dad has one of those industrial soldering guns. Total overkill for guitar work, but it works great!.
    Becareful. Guns and irons are different things. The guns' usually get a lot hotter and can easily fry the stuff your using it on.
    Confront and Cry

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Soopstradamus View Post
    Yes, good argument. A $100-150 Hakko is better than a <$100 Weller.

Seriously, why the h8? You owned a crappy Weller?
    The 936 is actually $75-90. I did indeed own a crappy Weller...
    [VIDEO]http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-Soldering-Hobbyist--Yourselfer/dp/B000AS28UC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308180388&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Weller WLC100 Soldering Station for Hobbyist and Do-It-Yourselfer: Home Improvement[/VIDEO]
    ^this one in fact. I'm no soldering iron expert but a good 60% of my extended family work as Electrical Engineers in circuit design/prototyping, and when I asked their opinions on a good iron every single one told me that Weller has taken a massive nose dive in quality. My dad has a 70s Weller that is really sweet though, still going strong after all these years.

Not saying the one you linked is bad, I don't have personal experience with that one, but every single source I have found points to the 936 being a better unit.

ME: Guitar?!?!
    Rig: Rig?!?

Quote Originally Posted by DslDwg View Post
    I think Elysian recommended these - I grabbed one and it works great seems to be the perfect temperature for electronics without having to mess with temperature control. But of course they have tons of other options.

HakkoUSA - Product Detail - Hakko "Dash" Soldering Irons

Yep, still love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogueleader View Post
    Fuck Wellers (used to be good, but all the sub $100 ones are shit now) and fuck Radio Shack irons. If you are serious about getting one for a lifetime get the Hakko 936. It is THE best iron out there at a hobbyist price point (>$100-150). I bought mine over a year ago and it has never been anything less than exemplary.
    Amen, I'll likely pick one up some day. I still have my trusty Hakko Dash though, and it absolutely works for everything I do. Granted, I'm not dealing with delicate electronics like a circuit board, tinning a wire hardly requires any heat so it's a quick process. I'd like to eventually have temperature control anyways though. I'll never touch Weller crap or anything Radio Shack. I'm lucky enough to have a Fry's nearby, I can buy Hakko from them.

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Rogueleader View Post
    The 936 is actually $75-90. I did indeed own a crappy Weller...
    Amazon.com: Weller WLC100 Soldering Station for Hobbyist and Do-It-Yourselfer: Home Improvement
    ^this one in fact. I'm no soldering iron expert but a good 60% of my extended family work as Electrical Engineers in circuit design/prototyping, and when I asked their opinions on a good iron every single one told me that Weller has taken a massive nose dive in quality. My dad has a 70s Weller that is really sweet though, still going strong after all these years.

Not saying the one you linked is bad, I don't have personal experience with that one, but every single source I have found points to the 936 being a better unit.
    No it's cool, I have no horse in this race, and I have no experience at all with Hakko. The Weller I own is almost vintage. It was a hand-me-down that received an awful lot of use and it is still perfect.

So I can believe that maybe they're not as good - but what's the problem, reliability under heavy use?