Fretboard cleaning and conditioning; Specifically Gorgomyte

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fretboard cleaning and conditioning; Specifically Gorgomyte

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Fretboard cleaning and conditioning; Specifically Gorgomyte

I've finally run out of my Dunlop products I bought quite some time ago, and its time to restock.

I've used this for the past couple years and have been very satisfied.
    Dunlop Guitar Fingerboard Conditioning Kit: Shop Accessories & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

I have no problem purchasing it again, but I thought I'd check out my other options. So I have a couple of lingering questions. Would really appreciate anybody chiming in.

a)Gorgomyte looks great, and I've heard of quite a few people using it on super expensive guitars. It looks like it cleans INCREDIBLY well, especially frets, which I would love to try. But I can't help but think if it cleans that well, it might damage the health of the fretboard in some way...
    b)Gorgomyte appears to be commonly available from two sources, the GHS licensed stuff and from Floyd Upgrades. I would rather buy the GHS stuff from Musicians Friend, as Floyd Upgrades doesn't have free shipping. Are the two sheets the same size and quality? I always here people talking about the stuff from Floyd Upgrades rather than the GHS stuff.
    c)Gorgomyte is just a cleaner, correct? What conditioner (if any) is suggested for use after cleaning?
    d)I read someones post here a while ago (I don't want to put words in anybody's mouth, but I believe it was elq's) saying that some commercially available fretboard cleaning/conditioning products actually dry out the fretboard and are actually bad for the guitar. Could anybody elaborate on this?

ME: Custom Tele
    MA: Guild GAD F150
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass 24 V
    Rig: Jet City JCA-22H

This thread is also relevant to my interests

ME: Frankencaster
    MA: Alvarez
    MB: Ibanez Cheapo 9000
    Rig: Chameleon 2000 & 2/90/2

I got some Gorgomyte from Floyd Upgrades last month and I've used it once. It works as advertised and will leave the frets nice and shiny. It's the easiest fret cleaner I've ever used.
    [Leon] 10:03 pm: She can poop on my chest anyday

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

Condition with bore oil to finish any cleaning job on unfinished woods.
    Making metal every night and day.

ME: Schecter Banshee
    Rig: Peavey 5150 II

I always just use regular lemon oil for wood. It's cheap and easy to find. I'm always amazed and how much gunk it takes off each time. The fretboard on my new used guitar looked dry and dull. After a good cleaning with lemon oil, it took off a bunch of dirt and now looks a whole lot better. Hopefully I'm not damaging my guitars. The lemon oil was just something I started doing without researching it first, but it seems to work great.

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

Lemon oil works just fine. I've read that bore oil penetrates deeper and I just grew accustomed to having friends with clarinets loan me their bottle to oil my fretboard.

ME: Thorn,KxK,Suhr,etc
    Rig: Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Soopahmahn View Post
    Condition with bore oil to finish any cleaning job on unfinished woods.
    One 2-sheet pack of gorgomyte and a small bottle of Fret Doctor (Bore Oil for the Fife and Fret Doctor) has helped me clean up several really doggy fleabay purchases and keeps my fancy guitfiddles in fine condition.

Re: drying out fretboard, many "lemon oil" products have solvents (i.e. alcohol) in them that can dry out fretboards. Check the MDS for the lemon oil if available.

I used gorgomyte recently on my Jem 77BFP which is basically my favourite guitar ever, and it cleaned so much gunk off the neck it's ridiculous. I almost felt bad for not having used it before.