Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Schaller Sure Claw

Tags
claw schaller
14K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  eugeneelgr 
#1 ·

Schaller Tremolo spring tensioner (Sure Claw) | Schaller-Electronic

Fucking sick. I've always thought the one place where Ibanez has been awesome is a couple of their trem innovations (the thumb wheel thing). Although from a practical perspective this isn't worth $35 and additional holes and drilling to me I think it would be sick if guitars were included with it standard.

See less See more
#4 ·
That's been around for ages, and I still haven't figured out the big deal about it. I'm not changing tunings or string tensions all the time, and I have yet to find anything that beats a properly set up Floyd, so I just take the time do it right once.

#7 ·
Im having an issue in my saber, where the claw screws are angled towards the front of the body a bit (naturally, try fitting a whole drill in the trem cavity lol) and i need to route the neck pickup cavity a hair deeper, but im already touching where the screws go. This would certainly alleviate that issue.

#8 ·
wasn't there a gold leaf finished jcustom fitted with
a sureclaw stock? i like a proper set up, yeah. but
i prefer how much more elegant the sureclaw is vs 2
long wood screws that travel deep into the guitar
body. even though it's never happened to me, i was
always worried about stripping the wood which provided
the bite for the spring claw screws.

#13 ·
:lol: It would be a nice OEM addition, and they have a point on it being significantly easier to install than a traditional claw, but while it's a cool idea and strikes me as an improvement over a regular claw I don't do enough adjustments to make it worth the switch (and all my main players I just leave the trem cavity exposed)

#15 ·

Sorry for the necrobump, but since i myself am doing research for people concerned about having only 3 springs for the schaller sure claw, there are heavier springs available from fu-tone and if all else fails, the image above gives more tension than a straight spring layout. Its pretty simple logic, if you've ever studied vectors in physics.

And only explore the above options IF you have gotten heavier gauge strings and still not able to achieve the STRING TENSION that you like with the AVAILABLE SPRING TENSION.

Imo the sureclaw is a ingenius design. Ease of adjustment, a more secure mounting(perpendicular to the guitar body as opposed to traditional trem claws with the angled-parallel screw mount).

#16 ·
I still think this is an awesome idea for an OEM build, and frankly I wish I'd remembered this when I built my Warmoth. If I do another, and if I don't forget again, I'll probably try one then.

#19 ·
I guess it's a case of "if it's not broke don't fix it"

I always thought it looked like Floyd ran out of energy when he got to the claw.

He creates this very unique, groundbreaking idea for a locking tremolo system then he basically uses the same "claw".

The Schaller fits the Floyd but then again was it really needed? Maybe if you're drastically changing tuning s and/or string tensions. But otherwise I have to agree set it and forget it and save your money.

#23 ·
I guess it's a case of "if it's not broke don't fix it"

I always thought it looked like Floyd ran out of energy when he got to the claw.

He creates this very unique, groundbreaking idea for a locking tremolo system then he basically uses the same "claw".

The Schaller fits the Floyd but then again was it really needed? Maybe if you're drastically changing tuning s and/or string tensions. But otherwise I have to agree set it and forget it and save your money.
Yes that is true, havent had to set my gotoh floyd trem claw much since i got it, basically using the same tuning and string gauges all these years. I was doing research for my strandberg build, wanted to try something else, cus as much as i dont change tunings much, i've always hated the design of the angled trem claw screws and using it to set up my floyd. Screwdrives always slip when im working on those two screws, and the screw heads have been damaged as such. Plus theres always the possibility and risk of ripping the whole trem claw out. And it just makes balancing the trem so much easier when its a single point of adjustment as opposed to two. Just my 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.