A tip for polishing your guitar

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A tip for polishing your guitar

A tip for polishing your guitar

I figured I would put together a how-to about waxing your guitar. I guess a lot of people dont need me telling them how to do this, but there was a time when I had to look it up and learn the right way.

Start with carnauba wax. Dunlop sells a tiny bottle of it, I prefer to save money and buy car wax. The ingredients dont change if you just go with the pure stuff. I picked this up for about $10. other brands will work too, I chose this because it has no additives, and because the brand is well-known to car guys.

you will need a micro fiber towel or pad. I like the pads because they fit nicely inside the can of wax!
    one pad to apply, one pad to remove.

I always rub in a circular pattern, and try my best to keep it off of the hardware. It will polish chrome nicely though.

with a clean pad or towel, buff out the haze to a nice sheen. pictures do it no justice, but the feel of a freshly waxed finish under your fingers is a pleasure to experience. and the wax keeps fingerprints from sticking to the finish.

I do this with each string change, and apply 2 coats to a customers guitar when doing a service. Best to do it with the strings removed. Works great on finished necks, and headstocks too.

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

I use Meguiar's on my painted guitars (because that's what i use on my cars), but essentially the same thing. And Meguiar's stuff smells awesome.

ME: Schecter
    MA: Yamaha - Nylon
    MB: OLP MM3
    Rig: V2 / Titan

so dont' use dunlop or planet waves finish spray / polish?

I feel as if I've added unnecessary swirls in my Jr V's finish the last time I used the planet waves micro fiber cloth and finish spray...

"The most important thing I look for in a musician is whether he knows how to listen." -Duke Ellington

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

It's not that the to her products are bad, per se, but car products are probably more economical, and those companies know paint like nobody else.

Just be careful to avoid any products that contain silicone, which can make refinishing or finish repair work significantly more difficult down the road.

Its a great idea of polishing guitar. I have noticed from some days that my guitar is getting fade. So, I want to apply this idea to my guitar. Thanks for this nice idea.

@darren yeah man this smells nice too! and thanks for the tip on the silly-cone,
    @Wookieslayer yeah man I have heard not to use polishes. I found that using a dry microfibre towel alone is more than enough to polish the guitar, just lifts off everything and works great, and thats all I used for guitars for years, with no polish at all....until I learned about the wax!
    @Dominik that's great dude, I hope you get the results youre after. just remember the 2nd coat =)

ME: Parker MaxxFly DF824
    Rig: Dual Recto

I'v been using tru-oils bees wax, carnuba wax, and silicone mix. I'v had no issues with the silicone, but i'm using it on raw wood with tung oil and not paint. Works great for me.
    Confront and Cry

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

I have never in my life polished a guitar