[Tech] Foam String Dampening

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Tech] Foam String Dampening

ME: Gibson LP
    Rig: 5153/Orange

[Tech] Foam String Dampening

If you play any kind of staccato stuff on the guitar, you probably notice a slight HRRRNNNG after the notes.

This, in addition to foaming the springs if you have a trem, will help shut that crap up:

Go grab some of this foam tubing from Home Depot. You can get like 20 feet for $4.

You'll want to measure it by laying it across the nut. Too much will look sloppy and your friends will make fun of you. Too little and you wont have enough to dampen all the strings.

This is out target destination. You'll notice that we dont really have a lot of room to work in. So we'll definitely have to cut the foam into size.

Being that it's circular in shape, if we cut our piece into quarters it should be shaped somewhat like a nut.

I recommend a pair of small, sharp scissors for this. The kind in a Swiss Army Knife should get the job done nicely.

You can see the shape can fit snuggly up against the nut and the face of the headstock. You wan to make sure to cut it large/tall enough to where it's going to be pressing up against the bottom of the strings.

I start by sliding it under the strings further towards the tip of the headstock. I'm way too lazy to take off the strings for this sort of a procedure. Plus, if you take your time and move in small steps, you wont have to.

While you have the Swiss Army Knife out, you can use the tootpick to push the foam up against the nut. This takes time and patience. Start by gently nudging it on one side, then the other. You can shimmy it in there, and when you're done it should look something like this:

You'll notice I have mine trimmed in thickness to where the most pressure is under the strings that have greater length behind the nut. They're the trouble makers. All done!

There are plenty of ways to accomplish this mod. This is just the way I like to do it. I've found it's clean, cheap, unobtrusive, and effective. Hope it works for you

ME: Bugsy
    MA: Cane
    Rig: Bias

Nice! Very clean and un-obtrusive. Well done.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

Wirelessly posted ()

How long has Ibanez been using that pop-open truss rod cover and no string tree? That looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by robanomoly View Post
    Nice! Very clean and un-obtrusive. Well done.
    Thx man.. Yeah I never liked that whole piece of a shredded tire under the strings look.

Quote Originally Posted by eleven59 View Post
    Wirelessly posted ()

How long has Ibanez been using that pop-open truss rod cover and no string tree? That looks great!
    From what I understand, they redesigned the nut to follow the path of the string. This way, there's no negative space under the string, hence no pitch change when you clamp the strings down.

The truss rod sliding door start in 2011 or 2012. It's fairly new. Awesome idea imo

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

The truss rod sliding door start in 2011 or 2012. It's fairly new. Awesome idea imo
    Nah, it's quite a bit older. My sister got a low end Gio way back in '08 that has it.

It is a great feature though.

You're right. I went to the Ibanez parts website. It turns out it's been on a few models for a long while.

What about on a guitar without a locking nut, just be careful? I wouldn't think you'd want to put too much upward pressure and risk lifting the string off the nut thus making the foam the new "nut" making open strings impossible.

The foam pictured is no where near stiff enough to overcome the pressure of the string. I when I said new nut, I meant in shape only