NSD (new shop day)

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NSD (new shop day)

ME: Bugsy
    MA: Cane
    Rig: Bias

NSD (new shop day)

After moving a few months ago, I've finally got a shop again! It's smaller than what I had before so the power tools (band saw, drill press, jointer, thickness planer, dust collector) are in the garage and I can use them fairly easily out there. I've been doing a lot more work with hand tools so it's not a big deal. Plus, I will now have better temperature and humidity control.

Walk in the door, turn left and there is the "clamp corner". Things are not very far from reach in a smaller shop (a corner of the bench is visible in the lower part of the picture). That's especially convenient when it comes to clamps! The grey box with white pvc pipes is a pump for the toilet on the other side of the wall (which, fortunately, doesn't smell).

Looking clockwise, the blue tool chest has mostly non-woodworking tools (wrenches, screwdrivers, stuff) but I them use fairly often and didn't want them out in the garage where they might start to rust. The mighty blue vise (on the floor) is quite handy for doing light metalworking.

It took a bit of doing, but I found a place to hang the buffing machine. Dehumidifier on top of nail and screw storage drawers on top of shelves. The frame saw I made for re-sawing boards too wide for the band saw is bottom-center of the pic. It doesn’t work as well as I’d hoped, but I may just need more practice.

Rather bare looking pegboard. One of the tools I use most is the pull saw (grey handle). It’s a Vaughan Bear Saw I got at Lowe’s for around $20 and worth every penny! It cuts fast, clean, accurate and with a very narrow kerf but won’t bind like a western (push) saw because the blade is in tension on the cut stroke. Plus, it’s lighter and easier on the arms and shoulders to use. I’ve had the Marples pull saw too, but this one is better.

Before I had any shop space, all the tools were in boxes, all over the place, which made it a pain to try and get anything done. So, I glued and nailed together a plywood wall-mounted tool cabinet. It may not look pretty, but it has been working great. This is where most of the woodworking tools are kept (saws, planes, chisels, scrapers, blades). The shelf below has marking and measuring tools, glue and various stuff wanted close at hand.

Gotta have wood storage racks too! Although the top rack is for various power tool storage.

I picked up a few metal storage cabinets off Craigslist for finishes and other miscellaneous stuff (pickup winding gear, bending iron, various jigs). Would have probably been a more exciting picture if the doors were open…

At the center of the shop (literally) is the bench. I made it from ¾”oak veneer plywood and 2x6 studs. It’s 2’-6” x 6’-0” and has been working quite well so far. Having a good bench makes everything else so much easier.

…dual screw end vise lined with under-the-rug-rubber-mat-stuff.

…front vise lined with same stuff…

So, that’s the tour. The next project? This is what I’m starting with….

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

Nice setup! That's one SWEET workbench!

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

How I LONG for a real workbench with a real wood vice.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Wow, awesome man!
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Elysian Custom
    Rig: Bias Desktop

I play Suhrs, not poor people guitars. -Chris

ME: Agile Pendulum
    MA: Ibanez EW20ASENT
    MB: Ibanez
    Rig: Line6 Pod Farm

Sweet! When can I see it?

ME: LTD SC600 / UV7BK
    Rig: JMP-1>VHT 2/90/2>Zilla's

Nice shop dude.
    I'm so metal I shit bats