Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Thinking about adding a choke to my amp

3K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  105 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi i have an Ultra 60 and im thinking about adding a choke to it.

is this the resistor that i replace?

also ive heard that adding a choke isnt good for shredders as it would 'slow down' the amp..

my main goal is to shred, so is doing this mod good for somone like me?

thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
#3 ·
Hi i have an Ultra 60 and im thinking about adding a choke to it.

is this the resistor that i replace?

also ive heard that adding a choke isnt good for shredders as it would 'slow down' the amp..

my main goal is to shred, so is doing this mod good for somone like me?

thanks

#5 ·
im looking at the Ultra Plus Schematic and the resistor im pointing out is called "R89" and it sits in between 2 banks of huge capacitors, if that helps any

#8 · (Edited)
I added a choke to a 6505 and it removes a bit of the power sag so it'll speed up the attack a little. I found it to be a subtle mod though, good but subtle. If I had to guess, I'd say that you'd need to be replacing the large blue power resistor underneath the filter caps, however I have no electronics qualifications so that would be a guess though, don't go putting a choke in there without being 200% sure, and there's also the old saying of don't go messing with tube amps unless you know exactly what you're doing, because they store massive charges in those capacitors even when turned off, and even if you're just replacing a resistor, the capacitors will still be connected to the resistors, you need to research discharging them before even thinking of working on any amp.

#11 ·
#14 ·
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

Also, whoever said turning an amp off without putting it on standby completely discharges the caps is a fucking idiot who is lucky they haven't killed themselves yet poking around the inside of amps.

#16 ·
well i cant read schematics that well, but it says on the PCB layout that there are 2 R100's, 1 in the power PCB and 1 in the preamp PCB in the standup capacitor bank..

if it was just R89 then i could have done it, but if its R100 i dont have the skills to do that.

im gonna have to do more research

#17 ·
well i cant read schematics that well, but it says on the PCB layout that there are 2 R100's, 1 in the power PCB and 1 in the preamp PCB in the standup capacitor bank..

if it was just R89 then i could have done it, but if its R100 i dont have the skills to do that.

im gonna have to do more research
If you're having issues with reading schematics and aren't very skilled at this, I'd highly recommend building your chops on some low voltage stuff like pedals first to get the hang of it. There are huge voltages inside these amps and there is a risk if the work is done incorrectly. Plus as for sound, there are mods that will alter the tone and gain more than installing a choke. Preamp tweaks, eq tweaks, hell even just changing the preamp tubes to a different type can make a huge difference.

I'm not saying don't get into modding but given the lack of confidence you're conveying I think it would be a more pertinent idea to do something less dangerous then make your way to hi voltage amp work.

#20 ·
As a ticketed, licensed electrician and Electronics Equipment Technician...

...don't. If you need to practice soldering, don't. If you didn't know the difference between a pcb diagram and schematic, don't.

Those of you humouring him and saying "try it!"...

...don't.

#28 ·
If you try it, you run the risk of killing yourself. If you die trying to do this, don't come running to us, we'll just say "I told you so".

FWIW, I have built dozens of pedals, can solder fairly well, can read a schematic, and I still wouldn't try this mod.

Don't do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.