Truss rod woes...

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truss rod woes...

ME: LTD Viper 400

Truss rod woes...

I'm having some trouble with a bass a got new back in April. The neck has too much relief but the truss rod appears to be as tight as it will get. If I loosen the truss rod it does what it should and adds more relief. Fender specs say .012" / 0.3mm and I can only get it to about twice that before the truss rod is too tight to turn. It's playable like this but doesn't feel great.

The shop I ordered it from says they'll fix/replace it for free if it's faulty but is probably just a seasonal thing and I'd have to pay for the work plus shipping if it turns out to just be a setup problem.

I not really sure what to do now. It seems like you should be able to get the neck straight on a newish guitar even with the changing seasons, but I can't really afford to get stuck with a big bill over nothing... Anyone got any ideas?

Quickest fix I can think of: are you willing to try lighter gauge strings? Other than that, the shop is propably right. Impossible to say before they check it and that can turn out either way.

Edit: I mean if it was mine and not that expensive, I'd propably try bending it manually and give it a good crank. Maybe first put it in a box or cabinet big enough with something to moisturize it first. But that's risky. Propably dumb too.

Edit 2: Actually moisturizing might help. I had a similiar problem with my acoustic guitar and some extensive moisturizing did help.
    Last edited by Varjo; 12-12-2014 at 11:51 AM.

ME: RGD2127z/Apex 100
    Rig: Diezel Hagen/Zilla's

Get an opinion from a local tech. If they say it's fucked, take it back.

Yeah lighter strings might be an option for sure.

I did try pulling the neck back while tightening the truss rod, but it won't budge any further. It's only a Squier so it's not the end of the world, just kind of annoying considering I've had it for less than a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Blankplank View Post
    Get an opinion from a local tech. If they say it's fucked, take it back.
    Yeah that's not a bad idea.
    Last edited by Rich; 12-12-2014 at 12:25 PM.

ME: Ibanez 540PIIM
    Rig: Peavey 6505

You haven't mentioned what sort of truss rod it is (which end of the neck, how much access you have to it, etc.)

Not so common nowadays but on older truss rods you could actually completely unscrew the head just leaving the threaded rod. If this is one of those throw a few washers on and then tighten it back up.

The reason it is going tight is very likely because it has run of thread to tighten up on. Putting washers on gives you the same effect "further up" the thread.
    "W yn shn y zhī, shn y xng.
    Tiān xi m nng zhī, m nng xng." - Lao Tse - my band.

Yeah I've seen that before with the washers. Mine has the headstock end truss rod access so I'm not sure if that's still an option. To be honest though even if it's completely buggered I could just put a new new neck on it.

I think it's more of a question of whether or not it's covered by the warranty, I know that setup/truss rod adjustment isn't. I emailed Fender earlier too, they also recommended taking it to a local tech first. There's plenty of time left on the warranty though so I'll leave it until after Christmas then get it looked at.

ME: BC Rich Ironbird NJ
    MB: BC Rich Warlock Platinium
    Rig: Peavey Ultra 120

Most likely a dual action truss rod, so washers are out of the question.
    I've had the same problem with a squier I bought 2nd hand, I ended up clamping the neck down and tightning the truss rod, let it set for a few days and then restring it. But if I ever decide to go with a hevier gauge, it will be useless.
    Take it back.

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

Wirelessly posted (like MAGIC!)

What's the winter humidity like where you are? What kind of heating do you have? I'd try adding humidity and see if that helps.