Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Attn: Guys who make your own cables

Tags
attn cables
4K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  7 Dying Trees 
#1 ·
What do you use?

I've been using a solderless George L's cable for years, but for whatever reason periodically it gets a little scratchy and I have to trim off the end and re-affix the jack every year or so. Oxidation, maybe? Anyway, now that I'm no longer afraid of soldering stuff, I like the flexibility of being able to make and repair my own cables, so what do you guys recommend for raw cable and for jacks?

#2 ·
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Keep with the GeorgeLs. If a cable goes bad at a gig or jam, it's a thirty second fix.

#7 ·
The Planet Waves solderless system is also really great and solid feeling. If you're interested in solderless and wanna try something new, check them out... price and availability make them even less prohibitive than GeorgeL's. :2c:

I've been using my own soldered cables for a while (Pro Line) but you inevitably always run into shorting cables, even if you're a master at soldering. Not to whore Planet Waves, but if I was going to do a full re-do of my guitar rig (which, coincidentally, I will be doing soon), I'd probably use their solderless stuff for my pedalboard and accessories, and one of their 'American Stage' cables from guitar to pedalboard or amp, as they're nearly impossible to short because of the way they're made.

#8 ·
why are the diy instrument cabling stuff so fucking expensive? It seems extremely over priced. As an IT guy, I can make Cat5e/Cat6 cables all day for pennies. Sorry but transmitting 1gbps of digital data is more sensitive than transmitting an analog signal over a single copper conductor.............................Yet shits like $80 for 12 connectors and 10 feet of cable.

#11 ·
Thanks for the link, Matt. :yesway: Really, I just think it'd be a cool project, and my George L's is quite a bit longer than I need in my current room. And I get bored easy. :lol:

#17 ·
:lol: I'm starting to write again, at least.

I don't have a pedalboard, so all I want is a pretty rugged cable to run from my guitar to my amp, every once in a while with a wah in between. :shrug:

#13 ·
I like George L's on my a pedalboard because they're super compact and the cable bends easily. And when you have a ton of connections to make, it's so much easier just to cut the cable to the right length and go, as opposed to measuring, cutting, stripping the jacket, trimming back the shield and dielectric, stripping the conductors, soldering and assembling.

But yeah, Canare/Neutrik is the shit.

#18 ·
You can get them on redco for about half the cost of neutrik plugs :yesway:

For my guitar to pedal board, I use Canare Cable with Neutirk Plugs, George L's on the board and the Carnare Cable with Amphenol plugs for my back and forth to the amp :yesway:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.