Had a Bugera 6262 2x12 laying around that I bought years ago at GC on clearance, was too cheap to pass on.
Never really gets played, mostly because of the open back with shitty speakers, and it weighs a friggin ton. I was regretting having bought it, I realized should have put more $$$ together and gotten the real thing (5150/6505). At least then I would have had something with value, people can barely even get $200 for these on CL. So I thought I might be able to make it more usable and practical and also a bit easier to move around if I converted it into a head and ditch the speakers.
I looked for a head shell but I'd need a custom and they run at least $100, you want tolex upwards of $150 or more. Not worth it, not for a knock-off head. I have tools, but not the right stuff for doing dado cut finger joints - so building my own would mean buying additional tools plus the plywood sheet. I decided I would rather get some good tubes into this thing if I'm going to spend any money. I finally came up with an idea to chop the existing shitty MDF cabinet apart and see if I could get something together that wasn't too hideous, that would cost me $0.
What I started with:
Measured and cut the cabinet so that it would provide enough clearance:
The pleasant surprise was that the top and bottom lined up perfect when I did a dry fit:
Wood glue to attach the bottom plus ran in 3 screws on each side. Weight is all in the top, so this is definitely good enough:
My cuts with the circular saw went a bit too deep into the bottom part so I had to glue in some shims and a piece of tolex that
I scavenged from the discarded middle area. Came out better than I expected, I almost cannot even see the repair:
And voila, the finished job. Took very little time, and I have to say, it looks pretty good. I'll cut the steel mesh that was in back to a smaller size or
get an aluminum bar to go in the back, throw something together to close up the front - I could use the speaker cloth... Damn, this turned out to be much easier than I expected and came out way better also. Spent maybe 2 hours on this total.
Now I need to get a set of good tubes and a bias...!