This one popped up, in need of a lotta work, so the price was right. It's a Cort Curbow 4 string, and I actually already own an identical 6-string version I got when they were new. I loved mine, plus a matching fretless would satisfy my OCD.
This is a semi-budget minded repair project. I want it to look good and work when it's done, but I'm not looking to go overboard with new pickup and preamp, 3-stage refinish or any of that kinda stuff. I'm going to try and utilize what the guitar already has as best as I can and try not to cut corners, but only add what's necessary to get it playing and looking right.
Here's a breakdown of the issues:
- Some cracks/damage
- Missing knobs, pot retaining nuts/washers, tuner gear covers and battery cover
- Crackling/scratchy output
- Overall dirty and grimy
- Sure up the body, structurally (glue, fill, patch, etc.)
- Replace any broken/missing hardware
- Troubleshoot the pickup/preamp system; replace preamp or swap pickup for passive if necessary
- Clean and de-gunk everything
- Possibly refinish?
The Bartolini (at least, the one in my 6er) is a really nice sounding pickup and diverse when matched up with the preamp. I'd love to salvage the one in here if I can but all my other basses are passive and I've never had an issues going that route, so if it's too much work/price to get it going, I might just swap in a Seymour Duncan NYC or similar soapbar-to-jazz conversion.
Refinish (if it happens) will be a budget refinish like I outlined in max3000's thread. I've got a full primer->primer->base color->pearl->clear project I'm already in the middle of (more on that later), and I'd rather this be something I can do over a few days and using parts I can get on lunch break rather than something specialty. We'll see where that goes.
Regarding the de-fret, I've refretted a lotta stuff but haven't done a fretless project like this before. Typically I'd recommend just using veneer for filler, but this is a synthetic fretboard, so I'd probably prefer something comparably man-made. I'm open to suggests. After that, obviously a few coats of acrylic epoxy to seal everything up.
On to the pics of how she looks now: