I have wanted a hardtail S-series ever since I got a floater. It would be the perfect guitar, simple, light and supremely comfortable. Freeing me from ever having to think about it. Well, I found a neck + body for ~150 euro.
First things first, this is a beater. No guilt in filling and drilling this one, because the arch top is ruined by whoever stripped the finish. The headstock was stripped poorly, the fretboard was dyed badly, and it looks like a slut, what with the fake tan around the frets.
I got some DiMarzios rolling around, so it only needs:
- switch holder
- 2 neck joint grommets
- bridge (hipshot .125)
- tuners (hipshot open gear locking)
- string thru ferrules
- re-done pickup routes (it was routed for EMGs)
- deleted trem routes
State of the neck:
- Truss rod works!
- It has some back bow, ~0.2mm. Should go away with strings on.
- Neck has a slight twist clockwise, as seen from the heel. It's subtle.
- When I use the truss rod, the twist changes direction. (wtf)
Is this normal? Should I go for it? Am I just being a Rocka? Any tricks for stripping the trem cavity? I'm so pumped.