Scotch-Brite pad + back of guitar neck = WOW

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Scotch-Brite pad + back of guitar neck = WOW

ME: Ibanez RG1527RB
    MA: Breedlove Custom
    MB: Ibanez SR305e
    Rig: Axe-Fx II

Scotch-Brite pad + back of guitar neck = WOW

This technique may be old news to a lot of you. I've known about it for quite some time as well, but never actually tried it--until a few nights ago.

The lacquer on the back of my '06 RG1527 is glossy. Not terrible, but not my preference either. I prefer a natural oil or satin finish on my necks. So, I did it: I hit it with an Ultra-Fine grade Scotch-Brite pad and WOW. I absolutely love it now. The neck is so much slicker and faster. Good stuff.

Anyone else done this? I thought I'd try it as a fast/conservative measure before attempting to completely sand the neck down and use Tru-Oil.

Now, what I'm curious to see is how this holds up over the long term. I'm wondering if, after a few months or years, I'll have to "re-satin" it again. I imagine the constant drag of my thumb will naturally rub some of the lacquer back to a gloss.
    Answering burning guitar questions & helping you perform your own basic guitar care/maintenance.
    Guitar Answer Guy Blog
    On Twitter

2. Thanked by:

ME: S7420
    MB: 'Ray
    Rig: Ironheart

My experience is that it will get buffed back to a gloss in a few days. Then it's just as sticky as before, but now has scratches in it, that trap grime and are difficult to clean. My skin buffs out everything. I eventually re-finished the neck of that guitar with a product very similar to Tru-Oil and that's getting shiny as well. Thankfully, at a much slower rate.

I don't agree with the whole satin = faster thing, but YMMV with technique and different types of skin.