Metal Guitarist Forums banner

EVH Wolfgang Relic look

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  jim777 
#1 ·
How do we do a Road Worn/Relic like this?

Im guessing its probably painted over without sanding the old finish so the new Paint start to peel off, but how do we force it to peel off like that? Scotch tape? Doesnt seems like its been scrapped but...

And all those cracked lines?

If anyone has any hints feel free to share them :)

See less See more
1 1
#3 ·
Really? I always thought they did finish checking by subjecting it to intense temperature variations.

#10 ·
One guy does it by turning those canned air things upside down and spraying the freezing mixture on the hardened lacquer.

#12 ·
The limited relic is a lacquer (nitrocellulose) finish. That's the stuff on old strats that increases the mojo as it gets more beaten up. Looking at the specs of the production Wolfgangs, they're a urethane finish. That stuff just doesn't age in the same way as nitro and I've never heard of a modern finish like that cracking from temperature changes (or freezing, canned air whatever).
Best example of aging on a urethane/poly finish I've ever seen was here Dulling Poly Finished Guitars PIC HEAVY!! - MyLesPaul.com
The process is still there, but it seems that the goblins have stolen the images...

But if you really want to nail that look, then you're going to need to strip it and refinish it with nitro first. Getting the paint off and preparing is the hard part. The finish with nitro's not too hard - black coat, ivory coat, polish and then start wearing it off again. Magic sponges work great for this so you don't go to hard at it.

#14 ·
One of my brothers got a really awesome looking aged cracked finish look with a hair dryer on high, and then using one of those cold spray cans you get at a drugstore. The kind of spray every little league baseball coach has for when a kid gets beaned lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.