Learning to shred...(building speed)

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning to shred...(building speed)

Learning to shred...(building speed)

Hey Guys im new here.
    I googled for tips on building my playing speed and all I get are sites trying to sell me stuff.
    I figured I'd just ask the people directly that have done it!

I have been playing guitar for around 14 years or so, but I never sat and practiced every day like I should have, Now here I am years later and I cannot play leads/solos.. it sucks..
    So now its time to get on it, but where do I start? what to practice? I need to build speed.
    I mess around with the pentatonic a lil in Bm, Just some bluesy shit. but it isnt really getting me anywhere.
    so.. where is a good place to start to build speed for lead playing? and actually playing leads?

any help is appreciated guys.
    here is a link to my myspace so you can hear i can play, I just suffer in the speed/solo department!
    The Chaos Sessions on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

looking foreward to learning !!

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L

take something you know (the pentatonic box) and spread it out, find all the notes of that pentatonic all over the fretboard, and learn to expand on that. then, pick another scale, and repeat.
    im in the same boat, playing for years and couldnt solo much at all outside of a pent box. so i started playing it in different forms, then blending them, and it opened up the pentatonic scales, and jazz scales, all over the place. been working on it with other scales and modes now, and im FINALLY getting somewhere i wanna be. its taken about 8 months of actively working on it whenever i have spare time.

Pick up a theory book though dude, no doubt its useful as fuck
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Quote Originally Posted by Cisc View Post
    so.. where is a good place to start to build speed for lead playing? and actually playing leads?
    These are two TOTALLY different questions, and really need to be addressed seperately, IMO.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the site.

For the later, learning how to play leads... Really this is just a matter of learning how to improvise melodies. There's two ways to work on this - first, really try to memorize the "sound" of various intervals, so when you're playing, you're not thinking "I want to hear the next note go up a bit, but not too high" but rather "I want to hear a note a perfect 4th higher at the end of this line."

Next, sit down with a CD and work out some leads by guys who are really known for their melodic playing - David Gilmour comes to mind, and then since so much of lead guitar is rooted in techniques first developed by blues players, some blues stuff makes sense too - I'm on a huge Albert King kick, so I'd recommend starting there. Sit down and work out their solos - if you have to, grab some tabs, but also really listen to what they're doing. Then, figure out what key they're in, and spend some time thinking about how the lines that these guitarists are playing relate to to scale patterns you already know (and, just as importantly, how each line relates to the chord it's being played over). In short, if you want to learn how to build a solo, start by looking at how other players do it. Gradually work up to shreddier stuff - a lot of the shred guys borrow heavily from slower, more melodic stuff, so once you start to build a vocabulary of more melodic licks, you'll be able to see how shred players are using a lot of the same concepts, just executed a lot faster.

For technique, there's a ton of good resources on the net for free, so you can certainly find a lot of good practice material without paying a dime.

Rather than directing you to any particular resource (because I'm sure you're going to get a ton), I'll get into the philsophy behind good practice. Disclaimer: I'm a total hack myself, and pretty sloppy, but I at least have a pretty good idea why that's the case and as they say, 'those that can, do; those that can't, teach.'

Really, there are two aspects to successful practice - first, being able to identify technique gaps or weaknesses, and second, being able to isolate just that weakness, and find a way to practice it.

For example, I'm sure you've seen your typical chromatic drill, where you ascend 1-2-3-4 on a string, then 1-2-3-4 on the next, etc. I usually prtactice starting on the first fret and heaviest string, ascend up to the high E, and then shift up a position and descend 5-4-3-2 back down. Then, when I'm back on the low E or low B, I start ascendingh back up 3-4-5-6, etc.

When doing this, I've noticed I have a lot more trouble descending than ascending - the 1-2-3-4 stuff feels pretty smooth and even, but the 5-4-3-2 does not, and I can ascend much more cleanly than I can descend. I noticed two reason for this.

First, the picking motion is more natural for me when going from a thicker to a thinner string, since it's a downstroke on a downward shift. So, logically it follows that I needed to find a way to improve the way I move my picking hand, such that I can shift my hand upwards while doing a downstroke just as comfortably as shifting it downwards. Since that doesn't make mechanical sense (as a downstroke has downward momentum), I figured it made more sence to make the shift at the tail end of the upstroke, coming off the fourth note on the string. I've been practicing that lately, playing pentatonic boxes so I'm only doing 2 notes per string and I'm forced to more a LOT more, paying closer attention to my hand positioning and working on making the move not in preparation for the downstroke on the first note played on the higher string, but rather during the upstroke coming off the previous string. It's obviously still a work in progress, but it's been helping, and I feel smoother and more accurate.

Second, I noticed that the fretting motion wasn't happening as smoothly either. Going back and forth, it seems that it's way easier for me to hit on 1h2h3h4 than it is for me to pull off 4p3p2p1. I.e - I'm having a fretting hand note articulation problem on top of an inefficient picking position transition. This one's a no brainer - the last couple days (I actually used to be pretty even, but I haven't had much time to play the last year or two so I've gotten sloppy and it's beginning to show) I've been basically "trilling" a 4-3-2-1 pulloff, over and over, starting at slow speeds and really focusing on crisp articulation, and then gradually speeding up my metronome and trying to keep it accurate.

So, what at first glance seemed like a picking problem (a problem with an alternate picking drill) was actually both a picking problem (shifting position) AND a fretting problem (pulloffs not being as accurate as hitons). I could have tried to work through it by doing the drill over and over again, but that just risks solidifying already bad habits. So, the better way to go is to spend some time thinking and observing, figure out WHY something is giving you trouble, and then come up with a drill designed just to test that skill, and that skill only.

I hope this helps... Really, practice is as much problem solving as it is repetition.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

One good way to think about building a lead line or melody is to make sure to create a 'high' or 'low' point where the solo either builds towards or falls away to. Going 100% fast all the time (or slow and lyrical) is wearing and boring, and one of the reasons I can't listen to 'shred' for terribly long.

Good soloists will 'push' and 'pull,' 'build' and 'release' to create a sense of interest and change things up.

Good 'building' techniques include fast ascending passages, alternate picked runs or repeated staccato lines. A very typical 'peak' is a high bent note, either held or repeated and picked at the climax.

Listen to the famous solo in "Sweet Child O Mine" for a great example of peaks and valleys, as it starts off slow and melodic, then builds tension with some more 'minor' sounding note choices and intervals, culminating in fast ascending runs that build into the high-energy wah section, which then eventually slows down and comes crashing back into the rest of the song. Slash, Gilmour, and Brian May are all such compelling lead players because of their grasp of this 'tension and release' mechanism.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

wow got some great info already. ill reread this when i get home from work.
    Can anyone reccomend a good beginning guitar theory book? Im oblivious to any theory behind it all.
    thanks again!

And any more advice is appreciated, still no idea how to get my speed built up.
    metromone maybe?

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

You know, I use the Fruity Loops sequencer (FL Studio Homepage) demo to sequence drum loops with either 8th note or 16th note hihat grooves to practice over. It's more interesting, sounds better, and keeps you thinking about downbeats.

Good entry level theory books? Hmm... I'm not sure, actually. I've been meaning to write a bunch of theory lessons for this place, I should really get on that...

ME: Parker MaxxFly DF824
    Rig: Dual Recto

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Good entry level theory books? Hmm... I'm not sure, actually. I've been meaning to write a bunch of theory lessons for this place, I should really get on that...
    yea, you should
    Confront and Cry

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L

pickup william leavitts a modern method for guitar

you can just get volume 1, it runs like 17 or 18 bucks, and pick up 2 and 3 later, for about 18 a pop, or you can get the set of all 3 in one book, for about 29.99

you can get volume 1, 2, and 3, each for 23.99 on amazon, or get the set in one book for, guess what, thats right, 23.99

[VIDEO]http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Method-Guitar-Volumes-Complete/dp/0876390114/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240442219&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: A Modern Method for Guitar - Volumes 1, 2, 3 Complete: William Leavitt: Books[/VIDEO]

grab it, cant recommend it enough man