6 tone extended minus 7th

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: 6 tone extended minus 7th

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

6 tone extended minus 7th

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEoEBhVRRyI&NR=1]YouTube - Dean Artist Rusty Cooley Tutorial - 6 Tone Extended Minus 7th[/VIDEO]

I'm usually not one for Rusty's playing, but this is a really cool concept: six note patterns, repeating twice, over three octaves. Basically, you leave out the seventh, get out of the box, and play diagonally across the fretboard. I've used this approach before in my solos, without every really thinking about what I was doing, but that was basically to just repeat a lick while climbing the fretboard. I've never thought of it as a way to just burn in key, although he presents it in a way that completely makes sense for that.

I've typically seen this done with harmonic minor, except that winds up having the seventh, and becoming a 3-note/4-note per string pattern, with an uncomfortable position shift in it. This seems far more useful.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

That seems simple enough that even I could get it!

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Can't watch the video from work, but say what you will about his music I've always found Rusty's approach to the guitar absolutely inspiring.

(I kind of like the music, too. )
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Les Paul Standard
    MA: Yamaha 6er/Tacoma 12
    MB: Peavey
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

I've been messing around with this stuff for a while, and you're 100% right; it's a really fascinating, versatile approach to constructing more interesting runs and navigating the fretboard.

Everyone should really check out Derek Taylor's playing if you're into this sort of thing, as Rusty got a lot of ideas from him about this sort of thing.

EDIT: If you want a really cool variation on this idea, try leaving out the fourth of the scale. It means the position shift's in the middle of each octave shape, which can be a little more awkward, but sounds really cool.
    "The greatest power one may possess -- in any situation -- is simply not to care what happens.

"In fact, it's the only power, all others being a semblance and mockery of it. But you must also not care about possessing the power itself. So fuck it."

Thomas Ligotti

You can do something similar by adding a note to the scale (like bebop players do to keep chord tones on downbeats while just going straight up and down with eighth notes) or just sliding into a note every other string.

ME: Parker MaxxFly DF824
    Rig: Dual Recto

rusty is such a beast. this is actually a nice little peice, as he was saying, to help you move around. i understand what hes saying about seeing the board as a whole instead of little chopped up peices after listening to that
    Confront and Cry

I picked up both of the Fretboard Autopsy DVD's on the cheap a while back. But I've never had the chance to really go over them, until recently. 2 DVD's worth of material like the vid in the OP.

There's another 6 tone approach he shows where the 4th is removed. Also, 9 note groups, and then doing 2 groups of 9 with an additional group of 6. Then he flips that upside-down so it's a "6-9-9" pattern.

He also threw in a quick review of the modes. Grouping them into 6 string and 5 string root modes (no 7 string though. ). 12-note split patterns for each mode, and also some single and double string examples.

And this is just on the 1st DVD. I haven't even bothered to look at the 2nd one yet. This should keep me occupied for a little while.