Need to make routine

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Need to make routine

ME: Swampcaster
    MA: Fender Sonoran
    MB: Squier P Bass
    Rig: None :(

Need to make routine

Well, the new band is finally about to start rolling, and I REALLY need to organize my practice schedule and get my playing back up to speed. I've got some slop and don't have as much speed as I did before I quit my previous band and the biggest thing, by the time I finally get home and the kid's in bed, I don't feel like playing. I need something to help me get in the routine of playing every day, and I really don't know what to do. I would like to practice atleast an hour a day, but I can't make myself get in the habbit/routine. Are there anything you guys do to discipline yourselves to adhere to a practice schedule, or motivate you? I really want my chops back, and i'm going to NEED them for my new band. Its pretty technical shit!

RHLC East Coast President

ME: 1 of 2
    MA: "Smokey"
    Rig: Peavey XXX

I was still kinda rusty (still am) when I joined my band back in November. Basically, there's no easy solution. The motivation has to come from within. Start at a comfortable speed and assess where you are. Then, you're going to have to get to work. Try to smile and have fun, and definitely remember to take a breather and play something you know that's fun so it isn't all work.

ME: EBMM JP7
    MB: Ibanez SDGR 705
    Rig: Axe Fx II

I think the first thing is to actually sit down and play to get the routine going. Guitar has always been my relaxation thing so I try to get at least an hour every to just sit down and get my mind off things.
    I didn't worry about anything scale or technique related in the beginning just to get into the routine.

Don't worry about people talking behind your back, it just means you're one step ahead and they're in perfect position to kiss your ass!

ME: Sherman Poips
    MA: Martin DXK2
    MB: StringlessRusted Leonbass
    Rig: Mark-V 25 1x12

Well, I have my signed photo of John Petrucci to motivate me!!!

The way that I schedule my practices is as follows.

I write a BIG list of things I want to work on this month.

Each day, I pick things from the list, and work on them for a max 10 minutes each. This way you can give full attention to the technique without getting bored and lazy/sloppy.

Don't forget to check things off the big list as you do them each day!

I spend about a solid two hours a day doing this, and if you stay focused you really accomplish a lot. I used to just pick a lick and practice it for 2 hours while I watched a movie. That is a no-no.

If you stick to the 10 minute max, even if the time is over and you aren't satisfied with you progress, stop. That way, the next day (or maybe two) when you get back to that riff, you are 100% motivated and focused.

ME: Ibanez s7420
    MB: Cort A6
    Rig: Carvin/Rocktron chameleon

Thinking of setting up a routine or so next week. Bit in the style of that workout from hell from rusty cooley but with some chords mixed in aswell & riffing. Think i might share it or something if i'm not being too lazy