Learning scales

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning scales

Learning scales

Hi, I want to learn some scales, so I can do some more improvised solos. But don't know where to start.

I listen to a lot of music, almost all genres in rock and metal.

I like blues, but this is something I don't want to learn at the moment.

Can anyone help me out, It would be nice if you could provide the scale in a tablature, because, I can't read notes!

Hope someone can help me out!

I would start with something like the E major scale, and learn all of the modes.

You should be able to find plenty of tablature out there that has this pretty laid out. It's a really great place to start.

ME: Jackson Sl2H
    Rig: Engl/Marshall rack

The scales I use most are the basic pentatonic and the major/minor scale. One is basically an expanded version of the other. The majority of rock and metal solos are made up of these.
    The trick is to not learn learn too many scales at first, pick those 2 and learn the different positions and get really comfortable with them. That's more important than barely knowing loads of exotic scales in the root positions.
    My band Shardborne - Prog metal Free E.P Download here

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Start with pentatonic scales and then move to diatonic - I'll post some stuff later tonight.

That said, learn how the notes fit together, rather than "box" patterns - I rarely think about traditional fixed position patterns while soloing these days.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Ibanez J Customs
    Rig: ENGL Screamer

Great site here for scales etc:

Hi, you will have an easy time decoding scales given to you on websites,
    if you 1st familiarize yourself with this chart.

I have heard all kind of nonsense from musicians who had an incomplete understanding of these terms. The article explains what is meant by this stuff,

0 Perfect Unison
    1 Minor second
    2 Major second
    3 Minor third
    4 Major third
    5 Perfect fourth
    6 Diminished fifth
    7 Perfect fifth
    8 Minor sixth
    9 Major sixth
    10 Minor seventh
    11 Major seventh
    12 Perfect octave

These are the basic names, the article explains about the alternate names, for example M7 also being sometimes called m8, and etc.

Also, a rule says that if a chord has a 7th and a 2nd both, that you should call the 2nd the 9th rather than 2nd. Some musicians apply this rule even if a 7th is not included. The same with 10th, 16th, and basically any interval greater than 7 you just subtract 7 and there you are.

The article explains it, interval means distance between two notes, and in most cases and for the purposes of this chart an interval refers to distance between a note and the root.

Dont spend alot of time with theory, I recommend, at first, you want to get alot of practice under your belt then study theory, or you may not feel right. It takes 1000s of hours of practice for any of this to even be close to relevant to a musician. Go for 10,000 hours - thats 20 hours a week times 10 years.

the link ends in )

Google "wikipedia scale intervals"

ME: MIJ Tele
    MA: Guild GAD
    Rig: None.

- Learn the major and minor triad shapes on all string sets (don't worry about inversions though).

-Learn the major and minor pentatonic scales starting from any string (you'll realize that all the shapes are the same, and learn the other three pentatonics without thinking about it) i.e. Eminor pentatonic on the D string is a Gmajor pentatonic started on the low E.

- Learn the blues pentatonic (add a flatted 5th to the minor pentatonic).

-Learn the modes of the major scale.