Meshuggah and friends

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meshuggah and friends

Meshuggah and friends

how do you guys go about figuring the numbers behind tracks like Bleed. Not specifically Bleed but when you listen to it and want to unravel how x-rhythm of y-notes relate to each other - whats the process you go through. I know they do this thing Maessean used to do in that Pineal track but for the life of me I can't follow it.

I know that meshuggah at least thinks of it like I do and ignores time signatures and sort of lives on the subdivision. But this crap moves so fast; is there a way to figure it out without slowing it down? I can count the gallops in bleed, and how many chugs they do, but my brain for some reason can't keep those numbers straight. I get befuddled in a sea of 1's 2's and 3's. I can hear where the chord gets thrown down that marks the repeat but what the heck did I just count out? Where are we? I can't even keep it together for the first repeat!!

I've always been a terrible counter and aural dictation was brutal for me. I could hum it back to you, play it on my guitar, but ask me to start throwing in measures and ties and I go from "feeling it" to just frustrated. Thankfully part writing doesn't come in to play and those stupid ties have no place because they don't break things into measure, but that same mental block of thinking through what the heck I'm doing has me paddled pretty hard =3

ME: Epi MKH LP7
    MA: Hyostar SJ-971
    MB: LTD B-206SM
    Rig: Blackstar HTMetal 100>2x1

But, seriously, I have tried to figure out Meshuggah before also.. It didn't work out in my favor

ME: Schecter Avenger 7
    Rig: HD500/KRKs

What you're looking for is the syncopated time signature within the time signature man. Basically following whatever the bass drum and snare are doing rhythmically will get you where you want to go.

ME: Ibanez Premium RG920

I feel like trying to "math it out" is more work than it's worth, and then even when I have it mathed out it doesn't seem to help me actually play or memorize the riff. Sure I can count the 16th notes and find out that it's a repeating 11/16 riff, but that just doesn't help me memorize or further understand the riff, so why bother?

I feel like with that kind of stuff you've just got to brute force memorize it. Listen to the one small section that you're working on over and over and over and over until you can't sing it wrong, and then try to get it under your fingers.

If you can't sing the riff, you'll never play it!

Rig: Axe-FX Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by Psyler View Post

But, seriously, I have tried to figure out Meshuggah before also.. It didn't work out in my favor
    I seriously Lol'd sooo hard.

I play along to it, and if it's wrong, I change it until its right. Bear in mind I've been playing stacatto/syncopated riffs for about the past 8 years, so they come as naturally to me as playing straight powerchords do.

However, sitting and trying to work it out is just going to get you nowhere. Just follow the drums feel (snare on the 3rd beat of the bar, crashes on 1, 2, 3, 4) and play along.

ME: Epi MKH LP7
    MA: Hyostar SJ-971
    MB: LTD B-206SM
    Rig: Blackstar HTMetal 100>2x1

Quote Originally Posted by Levi79 View Post
    I seriously Lol'd sooo hard.
    Glad it made someones day

I just put it on repeat and try to follow with my guitar. If that doesn't work, I'll turn it off and try to hum it, then I try to follow the humming with my guitar.

Have you tried personae non gratae? I've never been that much brainfucked learning a song, haha. Really struggled. Then I finally got it down and then I was all like, was this it? :P