Help on developing my transcribing skills

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Help on developing my transcribing skills

Help on developing my transcribing skills

which at the moment it seems are non existant because i can't even figure out simple riffs. I have been playing by tab most of the time so this has really hurt my ability to figure songs out. Most of the bands i listen to now aren't that well known and don't have tabs so this is the perfect way to get my lazy ass transcribing.
    [VIDEO]]Demiurg - Life is a Coma [HQ] - YouTube[/VIDEO]
    So i'm trying to learn this song and i'm having problems (already) with the first fucking riff. I THINK i know how it's played but something is still off
    Playing in B standard BTW

and the last part

If anyone could point me in the right direction
    Last edited by Ats24; 08-17-2012 at 09:33 AM.

so the melody part next is ( i think) :

all on the D string
    D |--10-9--13-12--10-9--7-9-10-|

then it goes into the starting riff again

and the next part is a sort of pedal riff and i can't for the life of me figure it out completely

as for the solo? i can sort of hear the slower parts but the faster run is practically lost in the mix of the song for me... maybe if i knew the key of it

anyway that's how i think this song is played up until the solo if anyone with more experience could point out the mistakes, it would be much appreciated

do you have spotify? pick one of your friends 1k+ song playlists or make your own. Whatever style, doesn't matter. Frank Sinatra, Vai, Tool whatever.

hit play, randomize, pick up guitar and just listen. pick a string you think it's on and gliss that guy until you think it's higher or lower (whatever pitch you want to find). Rinse and repeat. Pick a melody, a vocal line, a bass, a gtr, a marimba, anything. Pick it out and try to figure it out. Move onto next song.

i used to have trouble tuning my guitar.... still don't have a great ear but I passed aural training in college, and that's saying something, right? It just takes time if God didn't give it to you at birth ^_^

[edit] - things like sight reading and aural training are best improved when you ARE NOT familiar with the song/melody. Reason: it's harder and presumably activates more neurons (neurons are also what give us memory).