Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Temperature Affecting Playing

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  eleven59 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I found this thread: http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/off-topic/23188-too-hot-play-guitar.html

Which talks about hot and cold although it seems people only mentioned playing in the heat and when coldness was talked about everyone just talked about their preferences/bodies etc which is fine but not about playing.

So, my question is: How do you keep your hands warm enough to play at the level you're able to play?

I was living in Florida the last 4 years and now 2 months in Rhode Island is slowly getting to me. 59 in the house today. I know some people who run hot water over their hands for a while before playing. I guess a good warm up should work but with my hands I would need to warm up for like 30 minutes.

Is it so easy as turning up the heat? I'm sure my roommates would love, "I NEED THE HEAT TO PLAY METAL!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" but not the bill.

#6 ·
Step 1: Light hands on fire.
Step 2: Strap on epic bass of DOOOOM.
Step 3: Shred while defending self from attacking hot women.
Step 4: ????????
Step 5: Profit

That sound about right then?

#8 ·
:rofl: Yeah man, welcome to the team. :lol:

I try to keep the house in the mid-to-upper-60s during hours we're around and low-60s/high 50s when we're not (programmable thermostats are awesome. Then, I've found that keeping long sleeves on makes a difference - it seems to help my hands stay warmer.

Running my hands under water absolutely kills my calluses, but holding a hot mug of coffee or something could help. :yesway:

Reactions: BDIB21
#9 ·
:lol: But seriously. Even if I could shred, I can't get nearly up to the speed of say Lamb of God with my hands cold. Do you guys do any hand/wrist stretches to increase circulaition? Or do you fine fellows just heft your ax, and go straight into over 9000 bpm?

#21 ·
Actually with my door closed I'm pretty sure my laptop is the same as a space heater. Especially with all the tabs/windows I always have open and how Ubuntu makes the thing run crazy vs. Windows 7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.