Do you have 10,000 hours on the guitar?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you have 10,000 hours on the guitar?

Do you have 10,000 hours on the guitar?

Something got me to thinking about this the other day. Do you have 10,000 hours on the guitar?

Are you close? Under? Over? I'm pretty sure I'm over. Part of me feels like I'd be way over, but conservatively I'd say I'm over, but maybe not by much.

If so, what are your strengths and weaknesses at this point? Do some things come easy? Do some things come hard? How have you seen your technique and/or style evolve.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

Wirelessly posted ()

I might be close, no real clue. I've had stretches where I don't play as much, and stretches where I play 2-3 hours a day, for the last 17 years. At the best least I'm definitely past the half way point Combined with bass, probably close to it.
    Last edited by eleven59; 01-08-2015 at 06:41 PM.

ME: Electric
    MA: Wooden
    MB: Trout
    Rig: EVH

Man that's a eye opener, without breaking down the math Id say yes. When I was young I did up to 5-6 hours a day and even after I got a career I could muster a few hours a week for fun, then my many acoustic sidebars, and finally old age where I play more now than in a long while with my dream/illusion of a decent recording. (Kudos to Drew for going through so much to get his vision out there) Id say over 10,000.

What I have done well and need to do much better is so subjective as I am having those concerns many people have about direction. More technique, different phrasing or style. I always wanted to be different and that doesn't seem possible to me right now. The days of a dude playing a homebuilt $250 pc of shit and changing the world for someone seem very far gone now. All he would get now is a list of things that was wrong with his guitar, tone, technique. Old fart ramble aside I can alternate pick, and tend to do that too much as a result. I cant do anything far beyond a three string sweep that my ear hears as musical that my fingers can execute. I need to play longer to get clean than before..that sucks. No more no practice days and then just grab it and rip it seems even after 10,000+ hours

All in all I would like to find my own thing, impossible as that may be.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Yeah, and I have some pretty bad habits to get rid of.

Some things come very easy, so my big deal now is to work on the things that are hard, to try and "grow my voice", for lack of a better term.

ME: Sherman Poips
    MA: Martin DXK2
    MB: StringlessRusted Leonbass
    Rig: Mark-V 25 1x12

Wirelessly posted (Box Smasher)

I don't think I do. I had one year of dedicated 6 hours a day, and that's only 2000 hours. I'm probably only at about 8k. Not sure it really matters though.

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|‹berschall

I started playing in 1980, so yeah, I think I have 10,000 hrs in.

There are things that come very naturally to me now, and some areas that are still a struggle. Sweeping is coming along, as is tapping, but I didn't really start either in earnest until a few years ago. At this point in my life, I'm lucky to get a few hours per week of practicing in, so it's really a slow go when it comes to new.

ME: 87 Ibanez RG550
    MA: Wasburn D12 6
    Rig: ADA MP1 / Spider II

Yeah I have well over 10k but but fuckall for the last decade or so.

ME: RG1527, RG8527Z
    MB: SR706
    Rig: Mesa Boogie Roadster

10,000 hours would be 417 days. That's one year and two months of pure guitar-playing.

I've been playing guitar for 15 years. To reach 10,000 hours, I would have needed to play guitar at least 2 hours every day for the past 15 years, which is definitely not the case. When I was younger, I oftentimes would practice for 3-6 hours a day and when I practiced with my band, I would practice for anywhere from 3 to 7 hours with the band once or twice a band. Live shows would be anywhere from 20 minutes to 60 minutes of playing in a day. Even if I add in the days of learning to play band songs (or cover songs) or any kind of songs, days of writing songs from morning to night, and days of recording original songs either by myself or the band... That might sound like "then you should definitely be over 10,000 hours." But no way. Think of how many hours 10,000 hours are.

Why such an arbitrary number? Any meaning there?