Playing standards and progress

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing standards and progress

ME: Ibanez RGD Prestige
    MB: LTD Surveyor
    Rig: Diezel Einstein

Playing standards and progress

Hi all, having seen the Ho-Downs going down on the general music discussion, I've noticed from all the YouTube videos I've seen of MG users playing, that you lot seem to be pretty high standard players. The Megadeth and Annihilator covers were killer.
    I'm wondering how long it has taken you guys/gals to get your playing to a satisfactory level?
    I've been playing since 2008 but I still struggle to play even my own songs cleanly/in time despite practicing a lot of stuff with a metronome and doing all kinds of warmups. If anyone could give any tips towards making progress, I'd really appreciate that.

2. Thanked by:

Still working on it!

Honestly, it's all about seat time or just getting your mileage in. You'll just have to play the stuff you like over and over again until it becomes second nature. You're really just developing a large repertoire of muscle memory exercises. Some things will come a little faster than others, and it also comes in peaks, valleys, and plateaus.

The only real tips I can give that have helped me is to develop your own warm-up routines or "licks". Playing other rote exercises can get boring quickly, and you'll have more fun and be more engaged playing your own stuff. In the grand scheme, it will eventually help you develop your own style.

ME: Electric
    MA: Wooden
    MB: Trout
    Rig: EVH

Repetition and dedication, nothing better for playing than playing a whole bunch. Sounds simple but its the truth. I have met some really "schooled" players that still didn't have the miles to sound like a natural.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: LTD EC1000 / RG3120
    Rig: Laney Ironheart

what is really astonishing is the little time some need to learn a new song they probably never played before,nailing perfectly the solo too...that's not human

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

I was going to write in earlier but I wanted to get a few responses in here before I said my bit.

Practicing and sharpening technique is certainly part of improving HOWEVER, I think it goes largely unsaid that it's good to also recognize who you are as a player. It's a necessary distinction because, for example some players are crisp (Michael Romeo, Jeff Loomis, Paul Gilbert) and some players are loose and maybe even 'sloppy' (Joe Perry, John Mayer, George Lynch). A lot of times people get a 'grass is always greener' view of playing and they just want to sound like another guy because they don't like how they sound. There's some degree of slop and tightness that comes with practicing, but everybody hears and interprets music differently, so it's normal for anticipation of the note to vary (aka, behind, on or after the beat); likewise, you'll find examples of every different version of this concept among different accomplished guitar players.

Not to sound overly nebulous... my basic point is, you should be aware of how you hear music and how you want to sound, and just because one of your techniques doesn't line up with someone you idolize doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing. Reb Beach took to doing the 'two hand tap long stretches' as a crutch because he was having trouble covering them with one hand and as a result 1.) accomplished his goal 2.) ended up sounding very unique by doing it. Another example is when you listen to the raw guitar tracks from early Van Halen albums, there's a ton of slop but the way Eddie spreads out how far before or after the notes is innate in his sound and those songs wouldn't feel the same without it.

Not trying to sound all 'self help book' or whatever. All the advice in here is worth listening to, just don't get to tied up in playing like other people do at the expense of your own personality.
    Argbadh - RHLCİ

ME: Les Paul
    MB: Buttery Biscuit
    Rig: Mesa/Sunn

I'd love to get in on some of those ho-downs, but honestly I'm a really sucky player.

ME: Strat
    Rig: MKV25, Port City OS Wave

For me(and I'm at the bottom of the talent pool here), mentronome, picking like a man, and John Petrucci's Rock Discipline.
    ^ probably sarcasm.

ME: Electric
    MA: Wooden
    MB: Trout
    Rig: EVH

Depends on what you want out of it too. To be a technical player or a catchy songwriter etc..Somewhere along the line, if you play a bunch, you realize what you do best. But I bet you dimes to dollars anyone you think is good will tell you they played that guitar a whole bunch no matter what route they took.

Whether you want to be in a band or not can make a difference, the first time I did a original band we intended to be Prog Metal but found the clean stuff we did together was much better than the more aggressive stuff we did and in the end it was way more U2 than Dream Theater...not by choice really, just because that's the best way we came together as people. In a home studio and just playing for yourself can be a totally different animal.

I wanted to do the Ho Down but I have been playing Holy Wars wrong for soooo long I cant seem to unlearn my bad version, and I honestly had never heard the Alice in Hell song before (Sorry Boots), it does rock but I don't have enough brain cells to do my own thing AND learn other peoples music.