Metal Guitarist Forums banner

questions about pentatonic scales

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  BigDavey 
#1 ·
So my guitar teacher blew my mind.

I had always heard of the term but never learned it. So he taught me A Minor Pentatonic. He then showed how you can use it to improvise over songs. He used the backing track for i shot the sheriff and a led zeppelin song.

What amazed me was how you could even sound good just using two notes given the proper phrasing.

Okay so questions

What are the most common scales used in classic rock? Does it change for 80s metal?

When improvising are there guidelines or rules on where to go from one note to the next?

Are there certain terms that would be useful to google along with pentatonic scale? I seem to be coming up with a lot of sites describing five main shapes.

#2 ·
What are the most common scales used in classic rock? Does it change for 80s metal?

When improvising are there guidelines or rules on where to go from one note to the next?

Are there certain terms that would be useful to google along with pentatonic scale? I seem to be coming up with a lot of sites describing five main shapes.
Minor Pentatonic is pretty much the most common thing in classic rock, and there's a ton of it in 80s metal, as well.

Re: Improvising, there's not rules per se, but there's suggestions on the stuff that works and methodologies you can follow, but I think people like Drew or Lee could probably break it down better than I can, since I meander and type like I talk :lol:

#5 · (Edited)
Learn the 5 pentatonic shapes - at least that's what I'm doing (or trying to do).

The penny dropped that I was learning both major and minor were the same 5 shapes, and that the relationship between them was leading into what modes are. Play about with one pattern, then look to move to notes from the 'adjacent' patterns on each side - e.g. a well known run within the A minor pentatonic from 3rd fret on low E to 10th on high E brings in 3 pentatonic shapes.

Pentatonics tend to be 'safe' scales, in that keeping within the 'right' notes of the shape/scale you're using should generally work well (not as much harmonic tension in the intervals or something) - you can then look at how to add the other 2 notes to fill out the scales and find you've brought in the fuller scales and thinking of things as one continuous pattern begins to touch on some modes (staying inside the 5 pentatonic shapes - I think you only miss the 4th and 7th modes: Lydian and Locrian)

Disclaimer: I'm an utter hack player and am only beginning to get my head into lead work... So in conclusion - disregard all I've said and listen out for Drew, Lee, and... well, pretty much everyone else on the board!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.