Solos slowed down

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Solos slowed down

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

Solos slowed down

17/10/2016 - ok, this has grown into a bit of a monster! Added a lot more than I thought I would, and it's been viewed a fair amount, too, so, gonna tidy it up a bit and follow Drew's suggestion to add a list of contents. I'll update this list as I post new solos. Some of the videos are in this first post (scroll down for them), others are posted elsewhere in the thread. The list of contents states if the solos are in this first post or, if they're elsewhere, has a link to the post it's in.

If you want to see full speed versions of them, I posted a few in this thread, and most of these solos have a full speed version on my YouTube channel, but this thread isn't really about that, so there aren't many of them here. But maybe you want to see them to see if these fingerings really do make sense at full speed, or just to see if I'm full of shit or not (I am). Fair dos!

So, here's the list of what's in this thread.

Megadeth - Rust In Peace - All Marty's solos:

Holy Wars - first solo - here
    Holy Wars - second solo - here
    Hangar 18 - all solos - in this post
    Take No Prisoners - here
    Five Magics - first four smaller solos - here
    Five Magics - main solo - here
    Poison Was The Cure - here
    Lucretia - in this post
    Tornado of Souls - here
    Polaris - first solo - here
    Polaris - second solo - here

Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction - All Marty's solos:

Skin O' My Teeth - in this post
    Symphony of Destruction - in this post
    Architecture of Aggression - here
    Foreclosure of a Dream - in this post
    High Speed Dirt - in this post
    Psychotron - coming!
    Captive Honor - here
    Ashes In Your Mouth - first solo - here
    Ashes In Your Mouth - second solo - in this post

Dream Theater - Images & Words:

Pull Me Under - unison break - in this post
    Pull Me Under - lead break - in this post
    Pull Me Under - main solo - here
    Another Day - both solos - here
    Take The Time - unison and outro solos - here
    Surrounded - first solo - here
    Metropolis part 1 - first unison solo - here
    Under A Glass Moon - solo - here
    Learning To Live - all three solos - here

Dream Theater - Awake:

6:00 - in this post
    Innocence Faded - first and second solos - here
    Erotomania - first and second solos - here
    Erotomania - third solo - here
    Scarred - in this post

Misc:

Jakub Zytecki - Yellow - here
    Megadeth - Go To Hell 1st solo - in this post
    Dream Theater - Peruvian Skies - here
    Liquid Tension Experiment - Another Dimension solo - here

Megadeth - Rust In Peace:

For my money, this song has some of Marty's most interesting and difficult solos. There's a lot of tricky sliding about and easily fumbled bits. This is the first main solo of his (I'll get around to doing the first four soon). As with a lot of his stuff, it's really worthwhile looking at how you pick this, 'cause leaving out a pick stroke here and there can really help give you time to get around the strings.

One of the trickiest solos in the song, I think. Some funnily timed licks. I find I have to land on my index finger at the end of the B string sliding part to set me up for the lick that comes after it, so maybe worth paying attention to that.

This is a bit of an easier one that probably not so many would need any help figuring out, but I forget just about everything after a week or two, so this is helpful to me at least. Marty's first solo from Polaris. It's only short, but it has quite a bit of mojo about it. There's a really nice swing feel to a couple of parts.

Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction:

This is one of his toughest solos, I reckon. Not the toughest, but there's a lot of his peculiarities in it, his judicious use of picking/not picking, and some very tough-when-at-tempo slides. But it's also one of his best, I think, so worth tackling.

The world and his dog has done a cover of this solo, so I've always avoided this one. But I haven't seen a correct cover yet, and since it's such a classic, I figured I may as well try to figure it out and do a slow 'lesson' version (instead of doing just another cover). As best I can tell, this is what Marty actually plays, where all the covers I've seen differ a lot on the second half of the solo, and some just leading into it, too. I think this is pretty much correct, but there are one or two tiny moments I'm a little unsure of, so I wouldn't stake my life on it, but I don't have to!

I used the camera for this, as I had the shit out already. Learnt this one tonight, and it's a corker! Sounds simpler than it is, I think. It's not the most difficult or anything, but it has a couple of moments that are worth looking at the picking for. The opening descending run is one to look at, and the ascending run immediately after it that I begin on the A string. Both can get a little easy to trip up on. And that bend at the key change is a bit of a cunt to nail.

Dream Theater - Images & Words:

Here's the unison solo. This is one of my favourite Dream Theater moments ever. It's a bit trickier than it might sound.

And here's the first lead break (I think there's only one note different on the second version, but I'll have a listen tomorrow). I have yet to see this tabbed or played correctly. I've just poured over this for the last 30 minutes, slowing it down to 30% speed, and this sounds right to me. One of Petrucci's most famous moments. It's very tough up to speed, but a bit of practice gets you there.

Dream Theater - Awake:

This one's pretty easy, as far as JP's solos go. I've played the final part with alternate picking as JP does, but I tend to sit back a little and play it with economy when I play it at full speed.

Actually, probably worth noting that I'm not picking this the same as Petrucci. I think he might brute force his way through the fast bit at the half way mark (0:41-0:51) and just alternate pick that bit, but I use economy because I'm not a superhuman shredding machine.

Misc:

ME: Suhr, Warmoth, rg550
    Rig: Mark V:25 & Mark II

Nice! Yeah, its tough when he just alternate picks through that crap. I have to do the Yngwie style string skipping for quick changes like that.

Post up the full speed version!

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

This will be kind of awesome.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

I just realized that I made it sound like I could play this. I cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by beneharris View Post
    Nice! Yeah, its tough when he just alternate picks through that crap. I have to do the Yngwie style string skipping for quick changes like that.

Post up the full speed version!

I actually play one part differently to how I do in the slow version. I play the descending chromatic part with just three fingers and do a slide, rather than using all four. I find I get a little tied up on that part if I use the pinky, too. No idea how Petrucci does it, I've just gone from the studio recording, but he probably uses the pinky, too. But it's not really important. Just thought I'd mention it in case it throws anybody.

Awesome, that sounded great!

What did it take you time-wise to learn that?

lol you don't wanna know. I don't know what's happening, but I'm picking them up in no time.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

ITT: Lee is basically Dr. Who, with amazing mutant cyborg shred powers.