Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Pinchies!!!! Dime Style!

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  T Gobbs 
#1 ·
Guys, how do you hold your picks so you can do pinch harmonics (artificial) on the fly, like Dime does in the middle of a riff (Like The Art Of Shredding or in Cemetery Gates)

Sorry for quick post, pressed for time.

#3 ·
I scoot my index in a hair so that the pick angles more in order to allow contact with the thumb skin and that seems to bring out the pinches for me. So I essentially take my index finger from being almost 90 degrees perpendicular to probably 70 degrees going up and to the right. I basically want to expose more of my thumb to strike the string.

#5 ·
I tend to play extremely choked up on the pick; we're talking 1-2 mm of point showing. Since that keeps my fingers real close the string a lot of the time i almost have to actively avoid having the pinch harmonics come out. That lead me to adjust my pick angle so that it's just a very subtle movement between having the pinch harmonics ring out or not.

#10 ·
I didn't realise that anyone didn't use the side of their thumb for pinches. I tried using my index just now and that seems really awkward and unnatural. I guess it would be useful for a pinch on an upstroke?
i do it as a downstroke as soon as my pick strikes. I started doing this when most of the articles i read about pinch harmonics said to do this and any of the videos i watched on people who could do them flawlessly looked like they did exactly that

#12 ·
I asked this same question about a year ago. It took some practice but eventually I got it to work.

As others have said I hold the pick with very little of the tip of the pick being exposed. As I strum the flesh on the side of my thumb brushes against the string ever so gently.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but experiement with where your pick strikes the string because depending on which fret you are using the sweet spot for the PH may shift.

Now having said all that I lack the ability to pull it off in the middle of other notes it's just something that I can sort of do when fooling around.

Ideal conditions are when the gain in turned up. Difficult on my clean channel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.