Economy Playing - The underappreciated art of playing effortlessly - Page 2

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Economy Playing - The underappreciated art of playing effortlessly

Quote Originally Posted by the.godfather View Post
    Rick Graham is another good example for this. His economy picking and playing make it all look completely effortless. His right hand technique is so flawless that most of the time it looks like his right hand is barely moving at all.
    Frank Gambale was my personal go to inspiration for Economy playing. The man is smooth as butter.

I definitely gained a lot, borrowing from his Eric Johnson-esque intervallic approach to pentatonics.:

FOLLOW ME ON MY BLOG AT: Nik Owenby
    "A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on." - WILLIAM S. BURROUGHS

Phantasmagoria videos = best videos

ME: Ibanez S 540 Ltd
    Rig: Bugera 333XL Infinium

Lol yeah I won't play unless I have 5 camera's, 6 mics & soft lighting so I can cut from artsy angle to artsy angle w/e I screw up
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" ~Mark Twain

Youtube

ME: EBMM JP 13
    MA: Yamaha Classical Guitar
    Rig: Mark V w/ 2x12 V-30 Cab

This guy will kill just about anyone with Economy Picking:

If anyone has any prayer requests, need to talk, or have questions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Feel free to message me.

God Bless, Venator

Instagram: hrouthe

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    This guy will kill just about anyone with Economy Picking:

I'm a MASSIVE Marshall Harrison fan. There was another post where a player had this beautiful flowing piano-legato. It was actually Harrison's video that taught me the difference between the Van Haleney nonsense and the next level echelon sensitivity of someone like holdsworth (of whom Harrison is a HUGE admirer). I've been following him since I was a kid and since he was a lot younger.

Now that I've hyped up his contribution, I'm basically obligated to post said video now. One of the most important lessons in my life:

(NO SERIOUSLY, IT IS WORTH ANY GUITARIST WORTH THEIR SALT TAKING NOTICE)

Even if you don't like Holdsworth, it is worth you knowing the difference.

**EDIT: It is worth noting for anyone looking into this, if you are getting the hang of it the first few go rounds, you are probably doing it WRONG.**

And because I want to give credit where credit is do, JACKSONPLAYER is who I was referring to from the other post. The dude's legato is on point:

Last edited by Arkta; 06-18-2017 at 02:13 PM. Reason: It is worth noting, this isn't easy

ME: Parker MaxxFly DF824
    Rig: Dual Recto

Soooo, I thought alternate picking was hitting the note with a down stroke then an up stroke. Then you guys are talking about economy picking, which I thought was basically sweeping picking. Are you refering to these 2 different things as the same thing?

And for that lick in the first post. I find playing down up down up ect. JUST as valid as this down up down down up business. I can do it either way and one isn't any faster than the other. I don't get the point. Seems purely like a playing style choice.
    Confront and Cry

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend 7 Strings of Hate View Post
    Soooo, I thought alternate picking was hitting the note with a down stroke then an up stroke. Then you guys are talking about economy picking, which I thought was basically sweeping picking.
    And sweeping is really strumming in slow motion!

ME: Ibanez S 540 Ltd
    Rig: Bugera 333XL Infinium

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend 7 Strings of Hate View Post
    Soooo, I thought alternate picking was hitting the note with a down stroke then an up stroke. Then you guys are talking about economy picking, which I thought was basically sweeping picking. Are you refering to these 2 different things as the same thing?

And for that lick in the first post. I find playing down up down up ect. JUST as valid as this down up down down up business. I can do it either way and one isn't any faster than the other. I don't get the point. Seems purely like a playing style choice.
    What this thread is apparently about is "directional picking" (combining alternate & sweep picking) which is often confused with economy picking (which basically means 'not picking every note' ..like BB King or practically every other blues guy, a lot of shredders & just many guitar players in general..). Economy picking is just that - being economical with your picking...it's got nothing to do with sweep picking specifically..