Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Protein Bars

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

Protein Bars

Good idea, bad, pros/cons vs. shakes? They're a hell of a lot more convenient.

I'm looking for a low-carb, high-protein, lactose-free, poly-hyphenated post-workout snack that I can toss in my gym duffel or even use as a meal replacement in the morning with my coffee. I'd like to keep the net carb load low, even post-workout. I'm CrossFitting 3x/week, trying to up it to 4x. The workouts are usually a solid stretching/warmup routine, then some form of heavy barwork followed by a fairly grueling workout, usually cardio-heavy but always incorporating additional strength training.

So far these fit the bill nicely (tasty, many available flavors), but I have researched maltitol, the primary sugar alcohol used, and found it to have a rather high glycemic index (40-50). To me, it probably shouldn't be completely counted out of "net carbs."

My only complaint about the protein blend is it seems to have a lot of casein, which isn't ideal post-workout protein to my knowledge.

Nitro-Tech Hardcore bars are another alternative - I used to eat the regular Nitro-Tech bars in college, they tasted like crap but also had a healthy dose of sugar. Looks like they've all gone the "low net carb" route.

I think Muscle Milk is a decent liquid alternative. It's not as satisfactory (especially as a meal replacement) as munching on what basically amounts to a low-carb candy bar, but then there's the "Monster Milk" which I haven't tried. Am I wrong to interpret the protein profile as mostly casein, though?

Making metal every night and day.

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|‹berschall

This is relevant to my interests.

ME: Charvel MetalCaster
    Rig: Line6/Carvin

Are you trying to build muscle definition, lean out or bulk?

In other words, do you want to look like The Rock, Jason Statham/Matthew McConaughy/Tom Cruise or Taylor Lautner.

Each of those physiques has a very specific diet and regimen attached to them.

Why lactose free? Milk proteins have been shown to be much better than soy/whey proteins. Especially as a meal replacement since its not digested as fast as soy/whey.

I don't care for either one of those you listed, and I'm not really a huge advocate of the bars, but the ones I don't mind, from a taste and nutritional profile standpoint are:

The Detour Low Sugar

Carb-Conscious Supreme Protein

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

@ Mike: Because I'm lactose intolerant. Not horribly so, but it's an irritant to my body and I try to avoid lactose as much as possible.

I drank one of these and didn't shit right for 8 hours. Truth in product labeling.

I need to lose fat and gain strength. I need to improve my control of my blood sugar - when I eat crap food, my resting glucose level is around 100, which is considered "pre-diabetic," so it's best for me to keep carb intake down and regulate my blood sugar through a good diet. I *try* to eat more or less "primal," and I'm aware that a protein bar is nothing of the sort, but as a way to enhance my workout results and tide me over until my next meal, I'm not opposed.

I see no issue with whey protein, as it is a dairy byproduct but doesn't seem to post allergen issues for the dairy-intolerant, and is supposed to be the fastest-absorbing/most bio-available.

Egg protein is good too.

In all fairness, the MET-Rx bars, while possibly heavy in casein, haven't been giving me digestive issues.

ME: Charvel MetalCaster
    Rig: Line6/Carvin

I like the Detour bars. I've never had the supreme. Stay away from Powerbars. Yuck.

You may want to look into making your own. I did that for years and I could mix it up however I wanted. It was very handy. Since most of my protein is in liquid form these days, I don't do that as much.

I've been drinking a MuscleTech Whey protein shake every day and an extra one after my resistance workout. I also pregame my resistance workout by having a Creatine drink about 20 minutes before I workout. If it's a run night, I wont do the creatine since there isn't much advantage for slow twitch muscle workouts. But if I am jonsing, I might have a protein shake afterwards.

ME: RG3570z
    MA: Breedlove Pursuit Concert
    Rig: Mesa/Boogie Mark Five:25

I would stay away from the ready to drink shakes and get yourself some whey and a shaker cup. The Gold Standard stuff at is awesome, and a quick scan of their forums show that others who are lactose intolerant haven't had any issues with it. Shakes>bars in general because of faster absorption/less filler.

ME: RGD2127z/Apex 100
    Rig: Diezel Hagen/Zilla's

I'll definitely echo the Shakes > Bars thing. Lacto-free milk if you're using it as a meal replacement would be my recommendation. I have mine half milk, half water.