Spent 5 days hiking and biking in Moab,UT and Fruita, CO, it was a blast! Didn’t get too many pics, or track my times on Strava but oh well
First day in Moab we hit the famous Slickrock bike trail. It was unlike anything I’ve ever ridden before, and it was fucking hard. For the whole trail I probably hiked/pushed the bike about 70% and was able to conquer the other 30% on bike. It was also pushing 95 degrees and with zero cover it was pretty brutal. By the end of the ride I was exhausted.
After Slickrock we napped/hydrated/refueled for the afternoon, then headed out towards Arches National Park for some hiking/sightseeing. I wouldn’t really consider it hiking, more walking on paths but there are some slight hills and you can do a little bouldering here and there. Pretty cool place to visit. This pic is of my friends I was out there with at the top of the Double Arch, probably the coolest area we went to.
Day 2 we hit a few different trail systems. Started off at Klonzo, which is a fairly new system about 12 miles north of the town of Moab. Awesome, awesome riding. This pic is from a downhill only trail called “Rollercoaster”, and right when this one ends you hit another downhill section called “Red Hot” (might have it backwards name-wise) that is very similar. Just extremely awesome packed-dirt downhill. The rest of Klonzo was badass too, didn’t get too many pics though.
That afternoon we hit Porcupine Rim. Brutal uphill climb, gorgeous views. Had to hike about 25-30% of the uphill. The way down was fucking terrifying and awesome though. Almost made it all the way to the top, but it was getting dark and we had no map so we turned around. Turns out we were only half a mile from the top
Day 3 we left Moab and headed back into Colorado to spend some time in Fruita at the 18 Mile Road trails. This was the best overall riding of the entire trip. As unique and amazing as Moab is, these trails were just a lot more fun imo. This pic is at the top of a trail called “Joe’s Ridge” (scariest descent I’ve ever done ) and it links into a new section called “Mo Joes” that is the fastest flowing ride I’ve ever done. We did that whole section twice.
Also rode an uphill trail called “Prime Cut” that was just a slow gradual ascent. Found this guy on my way up. The way down from Prime cut was called “PBR” and it was also amazing.
Overall the trip was a blast. I wish I had more time earlier this year to train a little more for it because I’m a bit out of shape right now. Work had been crazy stressful so this was really the first MTB’ing I’ve done in 2015. Great way to kick off the summer though