So I started going to the gym, give me some tips!

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I started going to the gym, give me some tips!

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: Mesa Roadking II

So I started going to the gym, give me some tips!

Joined a gym, that's right next to where I work, so am actually going.

However I think my workout is a bit haphazard, doing 15 minutes cardio, and then generally doing weights for 30 minutes or so after that. Tried two tactics, one of 3x10 reps at a weight, and recently 4 reps going from 10 to 8 to 6 to 4 on increasing weight for each set.

Basically I have bugger all idea what I'm doing. I'd like to build muscle, and you know, slim down a bit.

So, any advice appreciated! Help a reforming couch potato out!

ME: Les Paul
    MB: Buttery Biscuit
    Rig: Mesa/Sunn

If you're doing strength training and cardio on the same day do cardio last, lest your legs be jelly. I prefer to do weights Mon/Wed/Fri with a run on Tue/Thur/Sat and Sunday as a rest day.

The 3x5 Stronglifts app I found pretty handy when I was looking for a proper regime, the website is pretty helpful too: StrongLifts: Simple, Effective Strength and Muscle Building

For cardio, get outside. Treadmills are fucking dull. Try the couch to 5k/10k things if you're a complete novice.

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: VHT Pittbull + Axe FX II

If you want to get bigger you can do lower reps with higher weight. 5 x 5 set/rep workouts are good for building strength + size and to begin with you will fly up through the weight if you stick to it.

How often are you going? What actual lifts are you doing?

If you are trying to slim down and just get generally fit you might want to can the rep idea entirely and work with light weights and times eg do 25-35% of your max of that lift constantly for 45 seconds or a minute. Set out a circuit of 4 stations with 3 different lifts for a body area at each station and rotate between them. I'd really need to type out a lot to explain it but you probably get the idea.

I've been playing Basketball for our national team my whole adult life so I've always been in good shape but the best shape I have ever been in has been when I was doing circuits built around the principles above last year before a tournament. The workout was only about 45 mins long but I was completely fucked after it every time. Granted I had 2 guys shouting in my face to keep going most of the time and thats a big help but its worth looking into.

Like Mr. S said, do the cardio after the strength portion. Also, try to find a program that you enjoy that fits into your lifestyle and end goals, whether it be powerlifting/strength or just overall musclebuilding/working out. It's really hard to go through it all in a few posts, but google around and try to find some nutrition/workout plans that you feel you can implement.

Don't ignore the things you hate (i.e front squats, dead lifts, lunges, etc.); I'd actually load up on those first and get them into the program so you become more comfortable. I'm a big fan of complexes because they have a good blend of HIIT/muscle building and endurance, and cardio elements.

Complex Routines for Strength Training | Muscle & Fitness

ME: Parker MaxxFly DF824
    Rig: Dual Recto

Work out. Gains bro.
    Confront and Cry

ME: Gibson SG Special
    MA: Yamaha FSX700SC
    Rig: Fender Deluxe VM

1. Pick something up.
    2. Put it down.
    3. Repeat steps 1-2.

I forgot the most important piece of advice:

Just load up on Monster and then roll into the gym and do anything you want. Exponential gains. Hell, I haven't gone to the gym in years. I just sit around and drink Monster and I'm fully fucking jacked out of my mind bam.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Quote Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
    Just load up on Monster and then roll into the gym and do anything you want. Exponential gains.
    I misread this as "existential gains." I like it more my way.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace