6K views 58 replies 17 participants last post by  thedownside 
#1 · (Edited)
Post 'em up!

4000mi
250,000ft climbed
Ride a century
A largest climb over the 1000' mark
A ride with over 5000' climbing

I know that's ambitious for my first full year back, but fuck it, I'm going all in. :metal:

#3 ·
My goals extend as far as getting back out and riding again. Living in Montreal without a car kind of broke my love of the sport due to the limited number of places to ride, but now that I'm living in Vancouver, where numerous trails are accessible via public transit, I decided to put in the cash necessary to get my mountain bike back in ridable shape (new linkage bearings, shock rebuild, fork rebuild, new cables/housing, and a set of XT brakes as my big splurge). I terribly miss riding, and I'm really looking forward to getting back into it - I just hope that me and my bike (and its 69° head tube angle) can handle the gnarliness of the trails around here.

#5 ·
For me, I'm hoping to hit 2000 miles. Considering I just bought a trainer, and I'm getting in some extra months compared to last year, should be doable.

Also, I want to do a century. Which I know isn't gonna be easy, but I'm hoping I can do a charity ride or two this year, which may help kick my ass into just doing it.
That or getting out with chris and drew and being forced into it lol

#7 ·
Also, I want to do a century. Which I know isn't gonna be easy, but I'm hoping I can do a charity ride or two this year, which may help kick my ass into just doing it.
That or getting out with chris and drew and being forced into it lol
One of my goals is to be in shape to do a century (last ride of the week, of course) when I'm up there in the spring. Chris, Drew, Dana, and Dave century, perhaps? :idea:

#6 ·
*Finding a climb bigger than 2,700 feet, to set a new "biggest climb" number on Strava.
*Get better about mid-week rides, even if they're just quick 15-20 mile spins after work.
*Break 3,000 miles on the year. If I do that, then break 4,000.
*become a faster sprinter
*ride this, with my buddy Jarrod.
*pull off a 20-in-20 ride; ride 20 miles at an average pace of 20mph or higher. This is surprisingly tough. :lol:

EDIT - one more, I want to do a double ascent of Greylock - North Adams to the summit, summit to Lanesboro/Rt 7, then Lanesboro to summit, and then back down. My brother did this once back when he was still racing as a hill climb workout, and I want to take a crack at it myself. After riding up the North Adams side, I was pretty tired, but I think had I bombed down the Lanesboro side instead and turned around, well, it wouldn't have been a fast ascent, but I think I would have made it back up.

#11 ·
  • Average 3 rides per week, once the weather is better - should be easy
  • Ride off-road at least 2x month - tougher, will depend a lot on kids activities
  • Multiple rides with > 500ft elevation gain - tough w/o traveling
Regarding that last one, we did a 10 miler with the girls that only had 71ft of climbing

#17 ·
I agree that it needs to be a "normal" ride with normal elevation, though given where I live I can't start and end at my place. :lol: I don't mind doing it as a ride with someone else, but I'd agree drafting off each other would be against the spirit of the challenge.

And, most of that morning at the MS150 was, in practice, solo - it was me chasing after Jarrod when he'd sprint from one group of riders to the next and I'd get stuck behind because of a car or something. It was fucking awful. :lol: That was the ride that put me back in PT, as it happens, because I hadn't been training at that level of intensity. For a while there, though, before my legs went to hell around noon, it was looking entirely possible that my first 20mph average pace was going to be on a century. :lol:

#27 ·
I should list my 2017 goal as "Get back to Olympic-level riding" While in grad school, one of the guys I rode with was on the Belize Olympic team. Frustrated me when I out-rode him, knowing he was going to the Olympics. :lol:

#31 ·
I'm pretty sure Shimano vs SRAM is like tubes vs modellers. Some people use Shimano and tubes, and some people are idiots. :yesway:

#37 ·
You should sign up for Zwift, so you can destroy us in yet another set of metrics.

#38 ·
my trainer is ready to pick up at re when i get back home.
I'm trying to figure out the advantage to going strava premium for me, but I'm not sure theres anything there i would really benefit from over the free version rite now

#42 ·
I'm moving into a new apartment in April that's 5 km from work, so I'll start cycling to work. I's probably the fastest way to get there, it'll lower my expenses (won't need to have time on my travel card), and I'll get in a bit of exercise. So it's a win-win-win situation. Just hope the weather improves a bit before then. :ugh:

So if I cycle to work during all the months that don't have (too) shitty weather,say 30 weeks (April to November - perhaps being a bit too optimistic :lol: ), that will be 150 days x 10 km = 1500 km only from cycling to work.

#43 ·
I wish I could cycle to work, but it's 20 miles (32km) one way, and the route is festooned with stop lights. It would take me almost two hours each way. :/

#44 ·
I ride between 2000 and 2500 miles each season.Last year
I started riding with three other guys (now friends) who are
even older than I am. (I'm 56). This year I'd like to do 3000
but I'm not getting younger and time and self discipline may
be lacking.
When I was in my thirties I averaged 14-17 mph. Now it's more
like 12-14 but I don't want to stop because I may never get back
on.:eek:

#45 ·
I'm joining the party!

I accomplished my first goal: buy a decent bike. I think the frame is probably a little bit too big for me, but the bike was an extra $20 over the Norco Pinnacle I had gone to pick up. Also, fuck grip shifters :lol:.

My goal is to break 100km before September. I don't know any trails around the city, but I know a few people who ride and I plan to go out with them. I don't really get cardio, so this is my way of getting some exercise. Before getting my driver's license, biking was the way to get around - and I would be gone for hours just cruising the cross-country ski trails. It's also nice that my fiancee bought a bike so that we can ride together (not the trail rides Chris does, mind you).

I guess I'll make my NBD thread :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.