A Total Noob From Arkansas!

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Total Noob From Arkansas!

ME: Les Paul Standard
    Rig: Randall RD45

A Total Noob From Arkansas!

Hello guys. I think this is the beginning of my mid-life crisis lol. Anyway, I'm almost 42 and only picked up the guitar around six months ago. Well, I actually tried years ago, but an ex-wife soon crushed my dreams of learning with her BS. I am however a total noob. I grew up listening to Metallica, Megadeth, the usual hard rock hair bands, Pantera, some country lol, I guess you can say just about everything but rap or pop. I like metal the most, which is what I eventually want to play. My goal if nothing else is to at least play in some raunchy local bars and clubs before I die. I have a super crappy rig, especially after seeing the thread where everyone posted their shit, but I'm also a broke assed college student and am in the process of scraping up nickles and dimes for pedals and stuff to feed this new addiction. I do think my PRS is sweet, but I don't know if the dual P-90s are a very good choice for metal, but I got a good deal on the axe and it is a super quality instrument. My amp is a Fender Mustang 1 (I know, I know) which I'll definitely have to get rid of as soon as I can afford to. It's ok for beginner shit I guess, but it really has no clean channel and the effects it does have suck. It does the 80's rock overdrive and the 60's twin reverb thing pretty good though. In really want a head/stack rig, but first I gotta justify that by playing much better haha. Anyway, that's me in a nutshell. I'm open for suggestions/advice, or whatever. I like to talk about the rain and what's for dinner too. =)

ME: MIM strat
    Rig: mesa triple recto

welcome from another arkansan.

ME: RGD2127z/Apex 100
    Rig: Diezel Hagen/Zilla's

ME: 87 Ibanez RG550
    MA: Wasburn D12 6
    Rig: ADA MP1 / Spider II

It is never too late to try new things

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Welcome aboard, man. Fuck the rig, for now - that's a solid guitar, and I've seen plenty of really good players make fairly crappy gear sound pretty damned good. Just learn how to play the damned thing, and you'll sound that much better for it when you move on to something a little nicer.

What are you studying?
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: ESP Maverick
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Orange

Welcome to the forum.
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club

ME: Les Paul Standard
    Rig: Randall RD45

Thanks guys! Cool another Arkansan. I grew up in Benton which is just down the road from LR. Don't live there now though. I'm North of Searcy a bit. Yeah, I'm happy with the guitar. The amp sux but I'll just get a channel as clean as possible and throw the ole pedal board to it lol. It'll get me started. I'm in my 3rd year of a BSIT for Network Management btw. Taking finals atm actually for my CMMI-ACQ class. It's a business class for IT Outsourcing. Real pain in the arse.
    Last edited by dlsmith976; 02-10-2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling issues lol

ME: Ibanez RGIB6
    MA: Alvarez P.O.S.
    MB: SR1305PD
    Rig: Mesa Boogie

Welcome! from one noob to another, lol! I've spent a lot of time exploring Arkansas roads on motorcycle, love it there!