Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Hello

Hi All,

Google has sent me here quite a bit lately doing gear research. Have gotten some good opinions from you guys so I figured it would make sense to sign up. I'm in my early 40s, have been a casual player since 1990, for a while around 2000 I did some gigging around NYC in an industrial band. Never really big into industrial, wasn't my material but it was an opportunity to play live. I had some really nice gear back then, sadly personal stuff forced me to get rid of almost everything. Probably the most interesting thing that I have held onto is a Kramer Baretta that I picked up from the factory closing sale back in 1991, has an interesting paint job, reverse headstock, real Floyd.

Fast-forwarding to the present, I'm getting back to playing a bit more regularly and right now the goal is to set up a nice living room rig. Could be tough and I might need some help from you guys, I'm not a great player but I am definitely a tone snob. I have a small but nice collection of headphones, headphone amps, and I'm slowly building up a nice vinyl collection.

My musical taste is varied, I got out of high school just as grunge was getting big and I've seen the other flavors of heavier music that have come through, alternative, metalcore, etc. I pick and choose bands and music over genre, my deepest roots are naturally in the metal from the 80's and earlier (old Metallica, Sabbath, Priest, Maiden) and the newer stuff I gravitate toward is usually stuff that is most directly evolved from the classic material. Couple of albums I have recently been playing a lot are Sahg III and Lamb of God's latest. One of my favorite 'newer' players is Devin Townsend, love SYL and his earlier solo stuff. If I had to pick a single favorite musician, Iommi probably sits at the top for me.

I look forward to getting to know you guys and talking gear and music.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

ME: Kramer Proaxe
    MB: Ibanez SR605
    Rig: Mark V/5153

Learn to be quick anyone can be slow

Do you look at the toilet paper after you wipe?

ME: Ibanez RG2027XVV
    MA: Ibanez AEL207E
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: GNX1101/Zoom A3

Sounds like you'll fit in well around here. Welcome!

ME: ESP Maverick
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Orange

Welcome to the forum!
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club ©

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|‹berschall

ME: LTD SC600 / UV7BK
    Rig: JMP-1>VHT 2/90/2>Zilla's

I'm so metal I shit bats

My band > WALK IN COMA