Help with choosing new bass

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help with choosing new bass

Help with choosing new bass

Hello people

For some time I have planned on obtaining a new 5string bass, and until yesterday that bass was going to be a Warwick corvette $$, but yesterday I discovered the Ibanez BTB basses (yes I am a bit slow discovering things :P ).

I already have an Ibanez Soundgear bass that plays really good and feels awesome, and since the BTB's are twice as expensive, get at lot of praise, and have a very nice set of specs I figured that the BTB's might be quite awesome!

Now, I am going to try the both and compare them, but I would also like some opinions from you on the matter (preferably from people that have played both). I am going to tune it down to G, and I'll play mainly metal (melodic, death, progressive, black), but also some more rock-ish, punk-ish, hardcore-ish, djent-ish and funk-ish stuff (basically I'll play a lot of things, not just metal stuff :P ).

What do you think?

Btw the two BTB's I've been looking at are these:

Ibanez BTB705DX-TKF - Thomann Cyberstore Sverige
    Ibanez BTB675-NTF - Thomann Cyberstore Sverige

And here's the Warwick (this model but in red, or something similar with two humbuckers (MEC or Bartolini):

Warwick RB Corvette $$ 5 BK OFC - Thomann Cyberstore Sverige

Add: I am a little unsure of the pickups (hence why I'm asking for advice). The Warwick has MEC 'buckers and those sound very good according to me, so I figured that 'buckers is the way to go. However the 705 has EMG's, and the 675 has "quadcoil pickups" (probably J-bass pickup-like, or singlecoil-ish).
    EMG's will always be... well EMG's, and all that come with EMG's, and J-pickups have a tendency of sounding a little... meek. What are your experiences with with the PUP's on the BTB's?

Add 2: I record a lot, and DI often just DI the bass since I've got no bass rig that with enough ballz to give the the proper tone. I might consider buying one sometime, but until then I'll probably DI the bass most of the time, or do a blend with like 80% DI and 20% mic'ed amp (small warwick blue cab that is a nice bedroom amp but lack the proper powah for serious recording).
    Last edited by Zeetwig; 03-30-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    I study geology cause now I hang out with people that like rock ^^

ME: RGD2127z/Apex 100
    Rig: Diezel Hagen/Zilla's

I LOVED the 676 I played not so long back. Wish I'd had the scratch to buy it. I can't say anything for the Warwick as I've not played one, but the Ibanez is awesome.

ME: Ibanez ARZ400
    MA: Ibanez AEB10e
    MB: ESP LTD F-5E
    Rig: Line 6 LD Studio 10

I vote 705 but I'd say the one real difference you would need to choose is Barts vs EMG PUs. I've tried both and while Barts get tons of praise, I just don't like them and I've liked the EMG/ESP clones much more.
    Biomimetic Autonomous Underwater Vehicle Designer

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

Wirelessly posted ()

I prefer EMGs to those particular Barts. Plenty aggressive and still very clear and versatile.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

I've got a BTB555 and it has wide string spacing for a 5. My other 5 string is a Spector Euro and I found it rather hard to get used to. Lots of players favour the wider spacing, as it is easier to play slap etc. But I figured it's something worth considering, as your other bass is an SR, which has narrower spacing, both at the nut and at the bridge.

+1 for the EMGs, but at that price I'd take a used German-made warwick over all of those any day.

ME: Legra Customs
    MA: Victor Garcia
    MB: Legra Spyder
    Rig: Pittbull CL/Triple Rec

I've only played one warwick, and it wasnt that one, but it was an amazing bass. Easily and by far the best I've heard.

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

The Warwick Rockbasses are NOWHERE near as good as the German ones. I found them to be completely boring, actually

I prefer narrow string spacing myself (I don't slap much and am terrible at it) but play whatever you can and pick what feels best to you.

ME: Legra Customs
    MA: Victor Garcia
    MB: Legra Spyder
    Rig: Pittbull CL/Triple Rec

I didnt even twig the price or anything. The one I experienced was, like, 3000