Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NBD: Fender Jazz

Tags
fender jazz nbd
5K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  105 
#1 ·
Yeah, I'm going through lots of basses these days :) Really liking Geddy's sound on Clockwork Angels so I pulled the trigger on a partscaster Jazz.

A guy on talkbass literally started with a Jazz bass pickguard, and then got all the other pieces, got it put together by a pro, and decided he had no real use for a 4 string. I don't know what I'll do with it either, but it's a really good looking bass and should cop the Geddy tone while it's still passive at least ;). Here are the parts:

• MIM Fender Gloss black Jazz Body: never used previous. (TalkBass)
• Fender Original black / white / back pick guard (eBay)
• Fender Original parchment / black / parchment pick guard (eBay)
• GOTOH 201 chrome bridge top loader (Warmoth)
• Stacked volume-tone configured, chrome/chrome knobs (All Parts)
• Fender chrome 3 hole control plate ((eBay, saw some use on a previous Jazz that has been sold)
• Bill Lawrence J45N and J45B pickups (new from Wild Pickups)
• Fender "F" neck plate, plastic plate gasket (eBay)
• Beautiful flamed maple / flamed maple standard Jazz contour neck with Abalone markers, satin finished (Warmoth)
• Schaller Vintage BML Tuners (Warmoth)
• Sadowsky med. Round Stainless strings (Sadowsky)

Nice shot of her in case:

A little closer

And my new desktop background :)

I am guessing I will get 2 more basses before Christmas, and maybe sooner. Making some changes in the stable. This one will almost certainly get a J-retro too.

See less See more
#2 ·
I was watching you go after this one. If you decide it's not for you, I might be interested. Black+Maple = :yum:

#3 ·
I had a guy offering me an MIA Deluxe Jazz V with Delanos and a J retro and a Roadworn Precision (both with maple boards) for the Zon. He backed out when he sobered up though LOL

Bass Central has a ton of the mahogany Bongos, have you seen them? They look good, and they have a nice selection right now too.

#4 ·
They do look good. $1700+ is a bit much for me though :lol:

Now, this particular partscaster? I think you mostly stole it.

#16 ·
So, never really bonded with the 'standard jazz' carve on the Warmoth neck, so I have a few changes coming to this bass in the next day or three. I had a few pieces delivered to my local GC that I will be picking up on the way home, so if if all goes according to plan and I get the new iteration assembled, I will have some pics later this evening :)

#18 ·
I hit an issue last night I should have anticipated but didn't. :( I may be able to fix it today though if I can find the right tools at the house, or else it will need to wait until tomorrow. Nothing major, but since we're still living in an apartment little shit can be an adventure.

#19 ·
How she looked a week ago:

And how she looks now:

Added a Moses unlined fretless neck, black Hipshot Ultralite tuners, and a set of DR Black Beauties. It will definitely get a preamp, still deciding which one though.

#20 ·
Wow sweet. :flex:

You seem to be a bass guy so I'll ask you. I recently aquired a USA Fender Jazz special, and I really am liking it. I want to change the bridge though as they seemed to have really skimped here IMHO....my question is what is a good replacement that would fit right in? I think it is the same bridge on my Jazz as yours?:scratch:

#31 ·
It looked great with the maple, yeah, but the neck wasn't fretless and i wasn't thrilled with the 'standard jazz carve' on the neck. I think as a jazz player you either like the Geddy carve or the standard carve, and I prefer the Geddy. Not too much difference really, but the Moses carve is great for me, the carbon neck feels great, and its fretless :) If I had kept it maple I would have ended up selling it, so I made it something I would actually play and use. It was a bitch getting the Moses neck on because the holes in the neck didn't align perfectly with the holes in the body, but I got that straightened out eventually. This is a great playing bass now, and will get at least 2 weeks of 100% time to evaluate.

#33 · (Edited)
I've heard two opinions on the badass, either that it does nothing at all over the standard bent L design or it will literally turn your tone into the tone of gods.

I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle. :lol:
Yeah I have been reading up on it and I get the same info as you stated. I might go hipshot as it gets good reviews and the Badass seems to be quite hard to get a hold of...and if you do people are saying that parts, if needed, are impossible to come by.:scratch:

Hipshot:

I think Fender makes a replacement bridge that is heavy duty now....might look for that as well.

Fender (Big Block) Brass Bridge:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.