Do I need a keyboard with a bunch of knobs and sliders?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Do I need a keyboard with a bunch of knobs and sliders?

Do I need a keyboard with a bunch of knobs and sliders?

Basically I'm looking at either the M-Audio KeyRig 49 or the Alesis Q49, or the M-Audio Oxygen 49 or the Alesis QX49.

The first two are basically just MIDI controllers with basic controls and pitch/modulation wheels, and the second two are the same but with a bunch of sliders and knobs.

I'm sure those are useful if you're doing techno or dubstep and need to modify waveforms on the fly, but for non-electronic types of music, are they still helpful?

Basically do you think if i get a basic keyboard, in the future will I wish I had bought the move advanced one?

Also I hear M-Audio keyboards don't play nicely with Windows 7 so I'm leaning more toward the Alesis. $150 is about my maximum budget. I suppose if I only need a basic keyboard, for that price I can get an Alesis Q61 instead or maybe stretch it to an M-Audio Keystation 61es.

Guitar Center has a $15 off $75 or more coupon through the 18th so I want to make my decision in the next day

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

I have an Axiom 61:

[VIDEO]] M-Audio Axiom 61 Advanced 61-Key USB MIDI Controller, 2nd Gen: Musical Instruments[/VIDEO]

And while I never use the sliders/knobs on it for anything, the biggest difference between these and the cheaper ones (like the Keystation) is that the Axiom has semi-weighted keys. Keyboards without them feel lousy (especially to actual keys players), but if you're just looking to poke in the occasional MIDI beat or something you probably won't care. I bought a basic one and ended up upgrading.

ME: EBMM JP7
    MB: Ibanez SDGR 705
    Rig: Axe Fx II

I have a keyrig49 and never had any trouble with it in win7, and tbh I've never missed having a more advanced keyboard either, but I only use it for simple synths and drums.

Don't worry about people talking behind your back, it just means you're one step ahead and they're in perfect position to kiss your ass!

I expect my playing to be somewhere between making simple beats and playing classical piano music.

I'm not really a keyboardist but I noodle around on one from time to time.

My parents have a baby grand piano so I'm used to what weighted keys feel like. But I've also played an organ before which just basically had non-weighted keys. The semi-weighted ones are nice but I don't know that it's a deal breaker for me at this point.