Need recommendations for a Bass

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendations for a Bass

ME: Elysian Custom
    Rig: Bias Desktop

Need recommendations for a Bass

So I've been thinking I've been playing a lot of guitar but no bass at all and decided that I should get a bass one of these days. Since I don't know much about the bass world besides Dingwalls are awesome. Can anyone make a recommendation for a bass? I'd like Dingwall Combustion but at that price I think I would be better starting at the lower end range of basses since I'm relatively new to basses.
    I play Suhrs, not poor people guitars. -Chris

MA: Alvarez FDT243C
    MB: Spector Euro4LXStarr
    Rig: 6505+ / SVT-II Pro

you should buy my Warwick $$ 5 string so I can buy a Dingwall

ME: Gibson SG Special
    MA: Yamaha FSX700SC
    Rig: Fender Deluxe VM

What price range are you looking at?

ME: Blackjack C7
    MB: Yamaha TRB6
    Rig: GK MB500

Price range? string number?

Depending on your price range.. if its closer to a grand, I'm gonna recommend the shit out of the Yamaha TRB series. My main bass is a TRB6 (the 34" scale original series). Easily one of the most well put together, awesome sounding basses I've ever played. Got mine for 950$ w/case off of the bay. Other great options in that price range are used Warwick Corvettes. I saw a german made fretless 6 Corvette go for 840$ on ebay a few weeks back.

If you're looking for something a bit cheaper, used carvins can be found for cheap on ebay as well, and are always dirt cheap compared to what you get. had an all mahogany, flamed top 6 string ebony boarded fretless carvin with a peizo that I paid 700$ for at one point.

The earlier made in japan Ibanez BTBs are cool, too. Around 500$ if you can find them. They usually have wood trussrod covers. Anything from Ibanez's soundgear series with a number bigger than SR500 is going to be solid as well.

If you're looking below 300 or so, I'd go with the Yamaha RBX775 or RBX765A's, and the Cort Curbows.

Also, you cant really go wrong with the classic J bass or P Bass if that's your thing.
    I play bass in a band called Weaponlord.

I also play bass in a band called Northern Crown.

I used to play bass in a band called Faethom.

ME: KxK Sii-7ex
    MA: Yamaha FGX700SC
    MB: Warwick Corvette 5
    Rig: JCA22

I'm going to assume price range is below $1200 since you said you wouldn't get a Combustion.

I always recommend Ibanez, Schecter, and Warwick.

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

Wirelessly posted ()

Schecter Stilettoc Studio 5 used. $400 to 500 and is super hard to beat.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: MMJP6
    MA: Larrivee
    MB: BTB 776 with Nordstrand
    Rig: 6505+

Buy a CHEAPASS Ibanez or some shit with a p+j setup. Get aftermarket pickups and new strings.

I have wasted thousands on other bass gear and ended up liking/loving the cheapest and simplest instrument.

On my go to bass I have two separate outputs and two volume knobs one for the dimarzio area J and the other for the Dimarzio Model P. I use the J for the nasties(6505+) and the P for the clean low end. It's massive. They share a common ground so the ground must be lifted somewhere. I use the countryman type 10 for that on the P output since it goes DI for recording and eq>DI in the live/practice rig.

ME: Elysian Custom
    Rig: Bias Desktop

wow tons of responses already, I would buy a combustion without a doubt but I'm not sure how well I'll stick with playing bass and I don't know how to properly play bass and I mean actually strum with my fingers, slap, etc.

Price Range is about up to the price of a combustion about mid 1k I'd say, still gotta get the peavy vypyr VIP 3 amp so I can do it all in one amp. I'm looking at 4 Strings for now I feel weird playing 34" on 5 strings I'm 5'6" so my hands aren't large enough to hit all 5 strings comfortable around the first 3 frets give or take. I played a few basses at GC today, got intrigued by the ESP LTD B334. Was swamp ash and had an open grain satin black finish.

Also played a Tobias was very meh but it was 200 dollar bass what can you expect?

I played a few Ibanez, they were better than the Tobias but I still prefered ESP LTD 334 over it.

I played a music man, can't remember the model but it's the 4 string single pickup one. Was damn nice just like their guitars.