Needing advice on Death Metal Vocals. - Page 3

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Needing advice on Death Metal Vocals.

The only singers around here are blue grass and country. I don't know a single soul in my town or near me that does extreme vocals. I was thinking of going to my local clinic and having them put one of theme cameras down my throat and perform my growls and make sure there is not anything happening that could cause damage. I do all my vocals from my gut because it feels like there is fire in my throat if I do not. When I do them I bend inward on myself depending on how much power I put into it. I change the formation of my mouth and relocate my tongue for different sounds and effects. However I can't seem to make the growls come out with a little of what you can hear no matter how hard or soft I force the air out. I don't feel anything in my upper throat except the air passing through and I usually flex and relax towards my collar bone.

ME: Ibanez 540S & S540
    MB: Ibanez SG200
    Rig: Blackstar Core 40

Quote Originally Posted by Hades View Post
    cool i like playing new tunes on my show!!! please send me a mp3 @ bornofhades@yahoo.com

HADES's DAMNATION TUESDAY AT 10AM TO 1PM EST AND FRIDAY AT 1PM TO 4PM EST
    TUNE IN! @ metal messiah radio
    Sent!
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ô - Iím not just a member, Iím the President.
    Donít expect much, itís not like Iím a rocket surgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerChad View Post
    The only singers around here are blue grass and country. I don't know a single soul in my town or near me that does extreme vocals.
    Proper breathing is proper breathing. Doesn't matter if you're doing Death Metal, Djent or Disco. This video is totally not metal at all, but the info is sound and applicable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BoAdlkLH_o

What my old teacher had me do was inhale completely in one breath, then exhale in one. Then inhale in two even breathes, exhale in one, etc until I went through inhaling in six breathes, exhaling in one. Then starting over by exhaling in one, two, etc. ending with inhaling in six and exhaling in six. Then, I would practice holding my breath (I could routinely hold it for 3.5 minutes inhaled, 1.5 exhaled). After that, stretch your mouth and tongue by sticking your tongue out all the way to the right, then up, then left, then down and repeat. Took about 30 minutes to do all that, but at the end, I had way more power, control and far less fatigue. An added benefit is all that fresh oxygen really gets the rest of your body fired up and ready to go, too.

Last off, don't worry about trying to sound like someone else. The metal world doesn't need more clones, it needs you to be unique.

ME: charvel jackson
    Rig: Randall

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Sent!
    got it \,,/
    "BORN OF THE DYING AND RULED BY THE DEAD"

I wasn't going for matching, I just wanted to also be able to do such haha! That seems like an interesting exercise I will do as part of getting ready, you are a really helpful individual Iron1. I very much appreciate your sharing of wisdom and experience. Also that being said, what if the sound of my growls is just a me thing and not a problem thing?
    Last edited by RangerChad; 05-16-2017 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerChad View Post
    I wasn't going for matching, I just wanted to also be able to do such haha! That seems like an interesting exercise I will do as part of getting ready, you are a really helpful individual Iron1. I very much appreciate your sharing of wisdom and experience. Also that being said, what if the sound of my growls is just a me thing and not a problem thing?
    Wise? Experienced? And here I thought I was just old and confused. You're welcome. And, just from a few sound clips I can't really say what's exactly right/wrong, but can only make educated guesses. But, since I've never met anyone who was just naturally employing perfect technique right out of the gate, I'd suggest getting some training so you don't realize a year or two down the road you have to unlearn bad habits. Either way, you have tons of potential, brutha, make it happen!

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: VHT Pittbull + Axe FX II

Out of interest where are you in MO? I used to live there and im cming back on vacation in July! Doesn't help you with vocals though