Drum overhead mic comparison! RÖDE vs SE ELECTRONICS

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Drum overhead mic comparison! RÖDE vs SE ELECTRONICS

ME: Warmoth Superstrat

Drum overhead mic comparison! RÖDE vs SE ELECTRONICS

I've had Röde NT5 for about 5 years now, but because I had to keep them in my rehearsal while tracking another band in their rehearsal, we agreed on getting me a new pair of mics (aside from the rest of recording they paid, so super nice of them!)

It's not until now I've had time to actually try them against each other. I taped them together to be able to record them on the same take. Of course, not exaclty the same spot, but it's only like 2cm from each other diaphragma centers.

Röde NT5 > SE Electronics SE1A > and then back and fourth between both to hear the differences easier

My opinion on them:

Röde NT5 captures more body of the snare so I think it suits better when capturing a whole kit
    My happy surprise was that the SE Electronics seems more scooped and have more highs: perfect for me.

I mostly sample most of my drums anyway, so I dont want that honky midrange stuff from the overheads anyway, it usually doesn't go well with the samples.

But for example Lector which is the only band I actually play drums in "for real" will fit better with the Rödes, since we're going for a more "natural" drum sound for our next album, as little samples as possible.
    Also will work well with Starblind, who I record every now and then; and their sound consists mostly of overhead and roommics.

But for the rest of my stuff, the SEs are a good upgrade for me!
    I can also use the Rödes for closemicing the hihats (with sm57 on ride) or maybe just hihat/ride.
    We'll see what I'll do with this.

There's only one thing, and that is that there seems to be more "side to side" overwash on the Röde, while the stereo image seems wider with the SEs.
    I've had this problem before with the Rödes, so I dont really think it's necessarly the current setup, but I can NOT explain why, I have no idea. I haven't had this issue every time recording, but sometimes.
    I will maybe run into this with the SEs too, who knows. Maybe some phase stuff. I dont know all of that stuff. Hahaha

Anyway: both mics are good and I like them both for different reasons.

EDIT: here's some wavs (pretty low volume tho...)​

ME: Ibanez RG2550E
    MB: Spector NS2000Q4
    Rig: Dual Rectifier (Reborn)

I much prefer the pickup of the shells with the SE's. The cymbals could maybe get a little harsh in the mix, and I think that's where I prefer the NT5's as they're more 'neutral' sounding.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

ME: Warmoth Superstrat

I like sharp sounds

Everytime I reference listening when mixing and I came across any of Running Wilds songs from the Death Or Glory album...
    Everything sounds muddy compared to this album

I always tend to add high frequencies to my overheads with Röde NT5s, and scooping mids, but it seems like the SEs are almost like I EQ my Rödes right out of the box

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

I'll check this out tonight. I've been very impressed with my SE4400a's and Matt got some killer sounds out of that Voodoo ribbon - they've impressed me so far.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    I much prefer the pickup of the shells with the SE's. The cymbals could maybe get a little harsh in the mix, and I think that's where I prefer the NT5's as they're more 'neutral' sounding.
    Kind of this. I'd be curious to see the waveforms from identical hits, as I wonder if it's a matter of the SE's capturing the transients a little more clearly...?