Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Help with Reaper!

Tags
reaper
2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 ·
I've been using Reaper for about 1 and a half to 2 years now and I've never had a problem with it until now. The problem started with the newest Reaper update, so I think the latest update may be to blame.

When trying to record or even when just playing what I have, there will oftentimes be silence for the first few beats of the drums. Generally only for 8th note based odd time signatures. For example, right now I'm trying to record a part in 11/8, but the 1 and 2 are entirely silent, despite there being a crashed cymbal on the 1, bass drums at straight 16th notes, and a snare on the 1 as well.

I've recorded with this song before the update and there were no problem with the drums, but after the update, BAM! The drums are silent for the beginning of many of the drum patterns. Not for all of them, though.

It's absolutely impossible to record like this, especially since one of the 11/8 parts has really oddly syncopated cymbal and bass hits, but the entire first 5 beats are silent with only sound on the last 6.

Oddly enough, the 4/4, 6/4, 7/4, 5/4, and 3/8 parts in the song all play perfectly fine with none of the gaps of silence. It's only the 11/8 parts that have the bizarre silence (for the first 1-3 beats in some parts, for the first 5 beats in other parts).

:confused: Any ideas on what to do to fix it?

See less See more
#4 ·
Check your metronome settings, too - there are options where it counts in X number of beats before starting to play back. I have a feeling it's not this, but it's worth a look.

#5 ·
It would have been weird if it was that since it only applied to the parts in 11/8.

The problem was that there was a gray line coming down around the 2nd or 3rd beat and anything programmed before the gray line was silent and anything after it was played. I have no idea how that gray line got there on all 11/8 parts (and it wasn't a copy and paste thing because I hadn't copied and pasted anything and there were tons of variations of drum patterns in 11/8). I also couldn't move the gray line. So I just deleted all the effected drum patterns and had to reprogram them.

It works fine now. I'm confused as to how it got that way. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.