Actually trying to mix my songs (and I am lost...)

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Actually trying to mix my songs (and I am lost...)

ME: Sherman Poips
    MA: Martin DXK2
    MB: StringlessRusted Leonbass
    Rig: Mark-V 25 1x12

Actually trying to mix my songs (and I am lost...)

Hey guys,

So I have just gotten into trying to mix my songs so that they don't sound like shit, but they somehow sound even worse now.

This song is mostly done, except for a few guitar edits that still need to be made. I don't have a bass so that kinda kills the balls of the song.

Anyway, if you guys could give me suggestions on how to better mix, that would be awesome!

Also, song suggestions are also very welcome!

ME: Ibanez RG7421
    MA: Yamaha LL6
    Rig: Peavey 6534+ + Bogner 412

What are you using man? Give some details! Using your ears is the best place to start and really homing in and training your ears which will take practice

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

Sounds like too much gain and not enough mids on the rhythm guitars. That's what's giving the hissy and indistinct sound to my ears.

Also, snare is really really loud.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: RG1527, RG8527Z
    MB: SR706
    Rig: Mesa Boogie Roadster

It sounds fizzy, distant, and like it was recorded through a cheap poorly EQ-ed guitar. I guess it sounds to me like mainly a problem with the EQ. Personally I would change the EQ on the amp, but you can also change the EQ of the recorded sound while mixing.

I've got to go with the guys, but also add that this screams for a bass too. This needs some kind of a glue and that's what bass is for. Also if you want a little more massive feeling you can always add some rhythm chords or VST synths (or a real synth if you have one). That would add in a feeling of consistency, but it's also a matter of songwriting and opinion so don't take this as a mixing tip. The lead at the end is a bit too loud too...

Other than that it's a good written song and no doubts will be br00tal as soon as you get the sounds in.

ME: Ibanez RG 1527 RB
    Rig: Line 6 POD X3 Live

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I can't understand trying to mix a song when it doesn't even has bass guitar in it.
    Without a bass guitar, it will NOT sound good, period

ME: KxK Sii-7
    MA: Jim Deacon something
    Rig: None right now :(

If you don't have access to a bass why not just add some "Fake" bass with your guitar? I find it takes a lot more work to make it sit well, but it's pretty useful for adding weight to a mix. Of course it usually sounds pretty nasty by itself, so its more of the "Felt but not really heard" kind of bass if that makes sense.

I usually just pitch a DI track down an octave and then slam it with some pretty hard compression/limiting and some fairly extreme EQ. Definitely not ideal but can certainly be useable. As for everything else I don't think the guitar is that bad at all. It could possibly use a bit of a high end boost (seems a bit dark to me) and/or a bit less low mids, it seems pretty woolly to me. I think the drums are letting the mix down in terms of balls too. Is that EZDrummer you're using? I'd maybe try replacing the kick with a beefier sample and maybe augmenting the snare with one too. I've always found the kick in EZD to be horribly thin and lifeless.

I can dig up an example of some fake bass and show the processing on it if you want some help with that

ME: Sherman Poips
    MA: Martin DXK2
    MB: StringlessRusted Leonbass
    Rig: Mark-V 25 1x12

Yes some help with fake bass would be very useful!

The drums are drumkit from hell samples, I tried to EQ them so they would sound a little better, but they aren't that much better.

As far as the guitar tones, I used Amplitube, and I have been having a hard time getting tones in that. If I don't take down the bass and mids, it sounds great until I get to the 7th string, and that low pitch starts to develop that "swelling" where the low pitches grow in volume and totally overwhelm the mix. I haven't been able to get around this issue in Amplitube so I had to adjust the guitar tones to be less than optimal so I don't get that swell. I really just need an Axe FX

Thanks for all of your input!