Metal Guitarist Forums banner

"Raindrops In Parking Lots" Full band mix

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  eleven59 
#1 ·
So, I posted the acoustic version of this song a little while ago (2 weeks?) in this thread. A few people commented it needed a full band mix, and I was actually already working on one :lol: Here's the semi-finished mix. I might add some things here and there, and tweak the mix a bit, but I figured I'd get some comments from you guys along the way :yesway:

http://soundcloud.com/aaronvsmusic/raindrops-in-parking-lots-full-mix

#4 ·
Wirelessly posted (Samsung-SPHM500 AU-OBIGO/Q04C1-1.17_PRE_1 MMP/2.0)

Chris said:
Sounds Goo Goo Dolltastic sir, this song should get you mucho pussy. :yesway:

Only critique I have is that there seems to be an overabundance of reverb on the lead.
Thanks man :D Yeah, the reverb needs a bit of a tweak, I was going for that slap back delay sound but over did it slightly. I blame listening to The Tea Party way too much in high school :lol: Especially the song "Correspondences" I think it was.

#8 ·
Needs something in the intro, maybe a cello or something :D

Could probably also stand to be a few bpm quicker.

Minor nitpicks aside, awesome work :yesway::yesway:

#12 ·
Wow, thanks man :D Brian May's definitely a favourite of mine, and an influence, and also a second generation influence since a lot of my favourite guitarists growing up were big Queen fans. There's a lot of both May and Page in my playing, but all as a result of picking it up second hand from other guitarists, before getting into the original guys years later :lol:

Also:

I blame listening to The Tea Party way too much in high school :lol: Especially the song "Correspondences" I think it was.
I was thinking of the solo from this song, actually, which doesn't have the room-y tone I was thinking of :lol:

Incidentally, in searching for the name of the song, I rediscovered why I fucking love this band :yesway:

#14 ·
Thanks man :D And yeah, check them out. First album's very Zeppelin-meets-Doors, second album's a bit heavier with way more middle-eastern influence, third album's got some industrial influence thrown in, fourth album's kind of a blend of the previous three, fifth album's like a blend of the first two albums and the fourth one without as much industrial/synth stuff, and their last album's more like their fourth album :lol: Unfortunately they broke up a while back, but the singer, Jeff Martin, is doing solo stuff and has a new band, The Armada, who sound a lot like The Tea Party :lol: The bassist/keyboardist, Stuart Chatwood, has been doing the music for the Prince of Persia games. The drummer, Jeff Burrows, has a new band called Crash Karma with some other guys from other Canadian bands that were big at the same time as The Tea Party (I Mother Earth, Our Lady Peace).

#17 ·
Aaron, this is awesome. I'm not wild about your acoustic sound, it's strangely phasey somehow, and I think I'd like to hear more of a delay than a slight slapback on the lead. I'm gonna second the "the drums are a little busy" thing too.

But, we're basically talking personal taste here, on what's really a great song and a great performance. I fucking love your lead playing, by the way, and I'd never have expected that. :lol:

#18 ·
Aaron, this is awesome. I'm not wild about your acoustic sound, it's strangely phasey somehow, and I think I'd like to hear more of a delay than a slight slapback on the lead. I'm gonna second the "the drums are a little busy" thing too.
The acoustic thing might be because it's a 12-string, or it could be my mic placement. There's a touch of compression, filtering (lows and extreme highs) and a tiny bit of reverb on it, but nothing fancy in the mix really.

But, we're basically talking personal taste here, on what's really a great song and a great performance.
Thanks man :yesway:

I fucking love your lead playing, by the way, and I'd never have expected that. :lol:
:lol: Yeah, it's something I've always loved doing, but never really showed off much, and for the last 2 years, all anyone ever heard from me was my old band, which was not this :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.