Decent headphones for mixing

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent headphones for mixing

ME: ESP Mirage
    Rig: Triaxis & SimulClass 2:90

Decent headphones for mixing

And yes I know this is not the preferred method but the room I'm recording/mixing in is not mixing friendly so I'm going to try it this way and hope for better results.

I'm willing to spend up to $200. Throw me some suggestions.
    FUCK THE YANKEES, Cliff Lee, The Phillies, Tom Brady, Drew, snow,, Ebay, Bill Belichick, John Boehner, the iPhone, the gecko from the Geico commercials, shitty drivers, dealing with insurance companies, crazy ex girlfriends, my job at the moment, my shitty mood, new year's resolution's, happy people, the state of Connecticut, my cubicle at work, lower back pain, the Seahawks, anything Queensyche has done the last 15 years, NASA, Tiger Woods, the economy, people who can't drive in the rain, acid reflux, everyone in Dream Theater except John Myung, Metallica, customer service at Verizon, people who take up the whole aisle at the grocery store, The Rock, working Saturday's, waiting for Drew's album, The Packers, Robinson Cano, tires with no traction, spam email and the spam you eat, Putin, cavities, Netflix, Godzilla, Taylor Swift, the price of replacement windows on my house, squash... to be continued

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

AKG K240 (any variation, I know there's 2 versions out now, both of which are different than the previous version, but they're all excellent, and it's mostly cosmetic/comfort changes, they're basically identical, performance-wise).

ME: Electra X260 Invicta
    MB: Ibanez SR405
    Rig: SVT 6 Pro->M1400i->HLF410

Beyer-Dynamic DT770

Love them!

If you decide to look for cheaper: Audio Technica m40fs

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

^ Both are great brands also, though my personal tastes found the Beyers a little too "soft" (not punchy enough for me) and the Audio Technica's a little too punchy Sennheisers in that price range are excellent too. Best bet: see if you can find a place that'll let you try them out and pick for yourself. I personally find the AKGs to be the most neutral (though, not 100% neutral) and most suited to my tastes, but different strokes, y'know?

ME: MMJP6
    MA: Larrivee
    MB: BTB 776 with Nordstrand
    Rig: 6505+

ATHM50. I don't really consider mixing on them a compromise. They are far more accurate than my KRK 8 monitors in an untreated room.

I was having issues with the lower frequencies because of the response of the KRKs and was having trouble with midrange due to the room. I got the ATHm50s and immediately fixed everything.

I also own an ATHM40fs. They are no where near the level of the ATHM50s. They aren't as accurate and don't reveal enough in the low freqs. They are also a little too boxed in and cause fatigue.

ME: KxK Sii-7
    MA: Jim Deacon something
    Rig: None right now :(

Pete, I stumbled on a pretty nifty looking website today which might help. HeadRoom: Stereo Headphones, Amps & DACs, Wireless, Noise Canceling, Ear Canal, Earbud, Audio Cables & Accessories, it's got frequency response graphs for loads of headphones and I think reviews and stuff like that.

I'd put in a vote for the DT770s, I'm used to mine now so I find mixing on them not too bad. They're a bit lacking in bass though, and there's some nasty dips in the frequency response I just saw on that site I like them nonetheless though.

ME: RG7620
    Rig: Spidervalve and 1960A Cab

I'll throw in my 2 worthless pieces of copper and say I love my DT770s. Comfy as hell too.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

ME: Bugsy
    MA: Cane
    Rig: Bias

Grado Labs, Inc.

I have the SR325 and can't imagine using anything else, but they are more than $200. Find a local place and try out other Grado's though.