Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Decent headphones for mixing

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Nolly 
#1 ·
And yes I know this is not the preferred method but the room I'm recording/mixing in is not mixing friendly so I'm going to try it this way and hope for better results.

I'm willing to spend up to $200. Throw me some suggestions.

#4 ·
^ Both are great brands also, though my personal tastes found the Beyers a little too "soft" (not punchy enough for me) and the Audio Technica's a little too punchy :lol: Sennheisers in that price range are excellent too. Best bet: see if you can find a place that'll let you try them out and pick for yourself. I personally find the AKGs to be the most neutral (though, not 100% neutral) and most suited to my tastes, but different strokes, y'know?

#5 ·
ATHM50. I don't really consider mixing on them a compromise. They are far more accurate than my KRK 8 monitors in an untreated room.

I was having issues with the lower frequencies because of the response of the KRKs and was having trouble with midrange due to the room. I got the ATHm50s and immediately fixed everything.

I also own an ATHM40fs. They are no where near the level of the ATHM50s. They aren't as accurate and don't reveal enough in the low freqs. They are also a little too boxed in and cause fatigue.

#6 ·
Pete, I stumbled on a pretty nifty looking website today which might help. HeadRoom: Stereo Headphones, Amps & DACs, Wireless, Noise Canceling, Ear Canal, Earbud, Audio Cables & Accessories, it's got frequency response graphs for loads of headphones and I think reviews and stuff like that. :yesway:

I'd put in a vote for the DT770s, I'm used to mine now so I find mixing on them not too bad. They're a bit lacking in bass though, and there's some nasty dips in the frequency response I just saw on that site :lol: I like them nonetheless though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.