Condenser mics

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Condenser mics

ME: Jaden Rose/Baja Tele
    MA: Freshman FA-400D
    Rig: Cornford Roadhouse

Condenser mics

I've been thinking about getting a condenser microphone, so I can do some more recording with my acoustic. I love playing acoustic, but I prefer the sound of a miked acoustic to the sound of the preamp in it.

I've been looking at a few mics -
    Studio Projects B1 - I had a shot of one of these from a mate, and it was great - nice price too.
    Rode NT1-A - gets great reviews, looks pretty good. Price is a bit higher than I'd like, but not totally unreasonable.
    SE X1 - again, gets great reviews, seems like you can't go wrong with SE Electronics - price is great too.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Budget of 150 - absolutely no more, preferably less.

The Rode NT1-A is an awesome condenser mic for recording acoustic. Works great on vocals also. Cant recommend it highly enough for that price range.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

The Rode NT-1A is definitely a great mic for the price, and was my go-to condensor for acoustic or vocals back in school. I'd try out other condensors we had on hand (Audio Technica, etc.) and usually ended up with the Rode.

I personally have a Behringer B-2 Pro which, while not perfect, is really decent for the price (it's used for all the vocals and acoustic stuff on anything that I post).

ME: RG7620
    Rig: Spidervalve and 1960A Cab

I got my handy-dandy Shure KSM27. Works very nicely for acoustics and vocals, but you might want to play around with the rolloff/cutoff as it has a bit of a dark sound.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L

I prefer paired pencils for acoustics, but that gets espenitive fast. The NT1A is in my experience pretty sweet, and leagues above anything MXL does at a comparable price point. My only other experience with LDCs is going nutso super happy time for an 8 hour period with a bunch of super high end shit i hardly remember, so i cant say much else.
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer

ME: Les Paul
    MB: Buttery Biscuit
    Rig: Mesa/Sunn

I'm a Huge fan of SE mics, there's also some great bundles you can get with them as well:

SE Electronics X1 Project RF & FREE Studio Pop Shield | DV247

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I prefer paired pencils for acoustics, but that gets espenitive fast.
    I like this too, but yeah, it adds up. I generally use a set of AKG C1000s's on acoustic - they're not wildly popular, but they work quite well for me.

I've heard a lot of people rave about this mic, for the price:

[VIDEO] o-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0018QJNGC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_r=13J4CPMV409MGS4WYM82] MXL V67G Large Capsule Condenser Microphone: Musical Instruments[/VIDEO]
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

I personally think if this is your first condenser, you should get a large diaphragm model as it will be suited to more tasks than an SDC. For example, an LDC will sound fine on acoustics, potentially even spectacular, but will be much better (smoother) for voice than a pencil condenser.

I'm not too experienced, but I do like my MXL V63M. It's the top of their "900 series," which is their lower end.
    Making metal every night and day.