Metal Guitarist Forums banner

New heavy mixtest (Mayones/BKP/Trilian/Lots of different S2.0 kits)

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Nolly 
#1 ·
Hey dudes,

I've got some big recording projects coming up so I've been working on some new mix templates. This is one I've been tweaking a lot today and I think I've got it to a point I'm happy with:

The guitar is a Mayones Regius 7-string with a BKP Cold Sweat in the bridge, through a new Axe-FX patch I've made centred around the New Recto amp model.
The drums are a mongrel set of Superior 2.0 expansion - Metal Foundry cymbals and hats, Evil Drums kick and Avatar snare and toms.
Bass is Trilian.

Anyone got some critique?

#13 ·
Your only dickish action has been ignoring me on facebook :D

It's all taste, man. They sound like tear-your-face-off heavy guitars with a bit of "raw" to them. A little too saturated, but sounds awesome nonetheless.

I tried to pick some tracks I liked that had similar grooves or riff styles to the one Nolly posted. They all feel quite a bit "warmer" to me. Nolly's clip, to me, still sounds pretty digital (regardless of whether he used real amps or not to get the tone) and a little scooped... tightness at the expense of tonal quality.

But again, it's all subjective, and is the same way I feel about pretty much everything Ola Englund does.
Pretty much with Josh. I do not mind the super tightness, it just seems so...digital, I guess. I am at a bit of a loss picking it out recent sounds in the same genre, closest would be Ion Dissonance I guess, or Tony Danza, but I actually prefer Danza II and Solace which are...unpolished, to say the least. :lol:

Closest I can think of in think of in this vein would be EP by a band called The Schoenberg Automaton; it is still super duper tight, but it has just enough midrange punch that it does not sound quite so 'hollow', if that makes any sense.

#7 ·
I'm just not a tech death/djent kind of guy. The mix feels very cold and stiff. I think it's more of a stylistic thing.

#12 ·
It's all taste, man. They sound like tear-your-face-off heavy guitars with a bit of "raw" to them. A little too saturated, but sounds awesome nonetheless.

I tried to pick some tracks I liked that had similar grooves or riff styles to the one Nolly posted. They all feel quite a bit "warmer" to me. Nolly's clip, to me, still sounds pretty digital (regardless of whether he used real amps or not to get the tone) and a little scooped... tightness at the expense of tonal quality.

But again, it's all subjective, and is the same way I feel about pretty much everything Ola Englund does.

#14 ·
Seriously though, listen to that Karnivool song once the whole band kicks in. Serious groove and heaviness, but without the cold hollow feeling I get from your mix.

#15 ·
It's cool to have your insights into this, the thing is I totally appreciate where you and Josh are coming from and actually enjoy the mixes you've cited. For this particular style, however, I really feel that dudes like Sneap, Thordendal, Sturgis and Zeuss have it sussed (though the latter has done some very grimy sounding records too - Acacia Strain etc..), and I'm always drawn back to that production style.

Stitch, I didn't know I have you on FB! What's your name/when have I ignored you?!

EDIT: Re. Karnivool, I know and love the music and production, though I feel that Sound Awake is an infinitely better mix than Themata ;)

EDIT no.2: Have you dudes heard the new 7 Horns 7 Eyes stuff? In my opinion that is the best organic but heavy mixes out there:

#18 ·
I guess my real complaint is, through my monitors at both low and high volumes, it's very fatiguing to listen to.

EDIT: That 7Horns7Eyes song is definitely warmer-sounding and less harsh. Guitars are way more saturated than I'd use, but we've already established I like a different genre than what you're playing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.