Andy Timmons' "Resolution" tone attempt with the Axe-FX (preset included)

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andy Timmons' "Resolution" tone attempt with the Axe-FX (preset included)

Andy Timmons' "Resolution" tone attempt with the Axe-FX (preset included)

Hi dudes,

The tones on Andy Timmon's CD Resolution are some of the best that have graced my ears, and I ever since getting the Axe-FX I've been meaning to give a proper shot at nailing it (I tried soon after getting the Axe and it got positive feedback but in retrospect it was a long way off). Anyway, without further ado, hear is me hacking a couple of sections from two tracks from Resolution. Go easy on me - it's been a long while since I last tried playing these tunes and these are just quick one-takers done without a click:

The guitar is my Blackmachine B2 with a pair of Bare Knuckle Mule pickups. I've got the tone knob rolled back a touch, and for The Prayer/The Answer I rolled back to volume knob to begin with, then gradually opened it up to about 9.

As promised, here's the patch:

There's 0 post-processing on the clip at all. The tone isn't absolutely 100% spot on, but it's close enough for now

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

Listening now. This sounds great man!

That's amazingly close, actually. It sounds fantastic! Well done, man.

Cheers duders. I'd love to hear any feedback on the patch from Axe owners!

ME: ESP Mirage
    Rig: Triaxis & SimulClass 2:90

That's sounds awesome and that's probably as close to his tone as anyone is going to get.

The more I hear this fucking Axe-FX the more I want one.
    FUCK THE YANKEES, Cliff Lee, The Phillies, Tom Brady, Drew, snow,, Ebay, Bill Belichick, John Boehner, the iPhone, the gecko from the Geico commercials, shitty drivers, dealing with insurance companies, crazy ex girlfriends, my job at the moment, my shitty mood, new year's resolution's, happy people, the state of Connecticut, my cubicle at work, lower back pain, the Seahawks, anything Queensyche has done the last 15 years, NASA, Tiger Woods, the economy, people who can't drive in the rain, acid reflux, everyone in Dream Theater except John Myung, Metallica, customer service at Verizon, people who take up the whole aisle at the grocery store, The Rock, working Saturday's, waiting for Drew's album, The Packers, Robinson Cano, tires with no traction, spam email and the spam you eat, Putin, cavities, Netflix, Godzilla, Taylor Swift, the price of replacement windows on my house, squash... to be continued

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rectifier

Sounds great and the playing is awesome!

That tone is absolutely amazing, I really can't believe just how close you got. My GAS for an AXE-FX has gone through the roof now. Your clips like these prove that it isn't just a 'djent-box' and that it really can do any type of tone you want.

Really good playing as well, although that's a given.

Thanks for the lovely comments chaps

Joel, really cool to hear these clips have impacted on you like that. I think it's fair to say that the potential of the Axe-FX is only really limited by the user, but it is certainly far from a "plug-and-play" style device.