Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Do these riffs work?

Tags
riffs work
2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  eleven59 
#1 ·
So I'm working on a new track, more rock than some of the stuff I've posted lately, with my Karnivool, Tool, etc. influences showing :lol: It's in desperate need of transitions, and this is a lot of copied/pasted riffs to try and flesh out an arrangement before I make it more interesting and song-like :lol: I guess what I'm asking is: how's it sound so far? Do these riffs work together?

http://soundcloud.com/aaronvsmusic/demo56-rough-1

Edit: And another song demo I whipped up tonight :yesway:
http://soundcloud.com/aaronvsmusic/demo57-rough-1

#8 ·
These sound really nice, Aaron :yesway:

I dig the first one, it just needs refining, and more riffs, as you said.

I didn't quite like the second on as much though. The bass breaks then guitars coming in playing the same riff (the first half of the song) were really dragging.

This is great though, I've been listening to a lot more straight ahead rock stuff lately and this is right with it :)

#12 ·
The riffs work together, but this song very very very desperately needs vocals. The "chorus" in this song is very boring without vocals.

One thing to keep in mind is that two riffs that don't seem to flow into each other at all can be forced to sound natural by how you do the vocals or drums. I've written songs where the song switches from one key to another key that is drastically different, but it works because of the vocals and the drums.

#14 ·
Man I Really like both tracks so far. They sound Really great.
I know you're just wanting to know if they sound good, as they really do, I don't know if its because it reminds me a bit of the stuff i'm doing but some ideas just started popping in my head:

I think the second song needs to be sped up a bit, the riffs are great, I LOVE the time signature. Its 3/4's but its got kind of a strange feel at first. Once it drops off where the bass is holding it down is where I feel its too slow, however just speeding it up there would probably mess up the feel of the whole groove.

The first song is badass as well, I think it needs some keys. Nothing OOT, just maybe a cello+violin section in the background. I also think right at 2:36 into it, do the first two chords twice, and then drop off the guitars and go back into the riff that starts at 1:59. What i'm hearing in my head is maybe a solo/harmony over the part, switch for two measures but instead of going to the next chord change at 2:36, go Back into the "riff at 1:59 with just bass and drums and have like a soulful short verse over that, then go to the next part.

Just my two cents, take them if a grain of salt. Sounds badass dude! :yesway:

#16 ·
Man I Really like both tracks so far. They sound Really great.
I know you're just wanting to know if they sound good, as they really do, I don't know if its because it reminds me a bit of the stuff i'm doing but some ideas just started popping in my head:

I think the second song needs to be sped up a bit, the riffs are great, I LOVE the time signature. Its 3/4's but its got kind of a strange feel at first. Once it drops off where the bass is holding it down is where I feel its too slow, however just speeding it up there would probably mess up the feel of the whole groove.

The first song is badass as well, I think it needs some keys. Nothing OOT, just maybe a cello+violin section in the background. I also think right at 2:36 into it, do the first two chords twice, and then drop off the guitars and go back into the riff that starts at 1:59. What i'm hearing in my head is maybe a solo/harmony over the part, switch for two measures but instead of going to the next chord change at 2:36, go Back into the "riff at 1:59 with just bass and drums and have like a soulful short verse over that, then go to the next part.

Just my two cents, take them if a grain of salt. Sounds badass dude! :yesway:
Thanks dude, that section might end up getting tweaked a bit, mostly though, I think it needs a stronger chorus added. Some keys might end up on there. Probably some nice organ in there, because who doesn't love a nice dirty organ :lol:

I like the tracks a lot and have nothing to offer other than getting some Maynard like vocals on them ASAP. Christ, some of those parts sound like you and Tool got together for a collaboration. Awesome stuff, dude! :yesway:
Thanks dude :D I don't think the vocals will be too Maynard-ish, mostly because I sound nothing like him :lol: But definitely vocals will pull these songs together, I'm already getting melody ideas, just need words and structure :yesway: And yeah, I guess all those years of listening to a lot of Tool has rubbed off on me :lol: Especially my bass tone/playing, since Justin Chancellor is just plain awesome.

#15 ·
I like the tracks a lot and have nothing to offer other than getting some Maynard like vocals on them ASAP. Christ, some of those parts sound like you and Tool got together for a collaboration. Awesome stuff, dude! :yesway:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.