What is the best Software to use for recording?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best Software to use for recording?

ME: Ibanez

What is the best Software to use for recording?

Keep in mind I have an average computer - I've used sonar and acid but feel there has to be something better

I used to use a Roland 1680 but I'd lose tone when transferring to a computer

Any Advice?
    Mister Fuzzy Head
    Keep it Fuzzy - Keep it Real
    Official - Twitter

ME: Ibanez 540PIIM
    Rig: Peavey 6505

Can of worms, this. There will be lots of varying opinions. I have an iMac, and for quick demos of song ideas I'll use Logic or Garageband because the plug ins and mastering presets are pretty sweet, but I do all my drum editing and slightly more involved recording in Cubase as I much prefer the layout and it's a much more powerful bit of kit, IMO. Also, Cubase is multi-platform, so if you can use it on a Mac you can use it on a PC.
    "W yn shn y zhī, shn y xng.
    Tiān xi m nng zhī, m nng xng." - Lao Tse

http://www.facebook.com/thecolourpinkisgay - my band.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

I do a lot of rough demos in Garageband, especially when I'm on my laptop, but for my main recording I'm a Pro Tools user. I've used Logic, Reaper, and Cubase before, though, and they all work equally well, I just prefer the workflow of Pro Tools. The way everything's laid out just makes the most sense for me. I can't stand having my plugins hidden away on sub-menus, and find that having the mix window and edit window on the same screen feels cluttered to me. Pro Tools just "feels" more like a real mixer and racks of gear to me, and since that's where I got my start with recording, it feels more natural to me. I've always said that, in terms of mixing, Pro Tools feels geared towards analog guys looking to get into digital, while Cubase and Reaper (especially) feel more like software for computer guys to get into recording, and Logic is somewhere in between. When it comes to editing, they're all pretty great, and each has pros and cons. I actually really like a couple features in Reaper's editing that Pro Tools doesn't have.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rectifier

I do all my recording in Reaper. it's free to try and you can use it pretty much indefinitely. It's exactly like the old versions of Vegas Pro, so if you ever used that program, you'll feel right at home:

REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

ME: EBMM JP7
    MB: Ibanez SDGR 705
    Rig: Axe Fx II

depending on your needs, cubase is by far the best for midi and it's not lacking in the audio department either, but if your needs are mainly recording audio I'd go with reaper.

Don't worry about people talking behind your back, it just means you're one step ahead and they're in perfect position to kiss your ass!

ME: Hellraiser
    MB: Carvin IC6

Quote Originally Posted by eleven59 View Post
    I can't stand having my plugins hidden away on sub-menus, and find that having the mix window and edit window on the same screen feels cluttered to me.
    I totally understand what you're saying, as I'm also a big fan of Pro Tools. However, in nearly all of the big programs (Cubase, Reaper, Logic, etc), you can set it so you that you can have a separate mixer window. It just happens to be the default in Pro Tools to have separate windows.

That being said, there's really no "best" recording software. It just comes down to preference. I prefer Pro Tools and Reaper, and I cannot stand Cubase, but that doesn't mean Cubase is bad. In fact, I do recognize that Cubase is a pretty solid program, I've just had not so good experiences with it. It all depends on the user.

ME: Blackjack C7
    MB: Yamaha TRB6
    Rig: GK MB500

I'd start with reaper. Free to try, really lightweight, easy to use. i used it for recording all the scratch tracks for my last band for about 2.5 years.
    I play bass in a band called Weaponlord.

I also play bass in a band called Northern Crown.

I used to play bass in a band called Faethom.

ME: none
    MA: Seagull!
    MB: None.
    Rig: Hd500->V300->Mesa 212

Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've been using Reaper. I like it, not a huge fan of the default plug ins though...